You Might Remember This

You might remember this, or not. I realise that many of you who read this will be far too young to recall these events, or will only have heard about them from your parents or grandparents; or maybe a magazine or TV documentary.

Back in 1973, there were no mobile phones, no social media platforms and international phone calls cost an arm and a leg. Some of us in Australia still watched black and white TV. I can hear you exclaim: How on earth did they survive? Well, many of us are still here, and learning about the amazing new technologies available today.

Here are some of the events that hit the radio waves, TV and magazines. There were always plenty of newspapers and magazines to go around.

In Australia; the beginning of 1973, on the 25th of January, saw Queen Elizabeth 11, open the spectacular and controversial Sydney Opera House. Many of you have likely seen a photo of this iconic building and it's known around the world. It's as much a symbol of Sydney Harbour as the magnificent Bridge. A panoramic view around Circular Quay, a real hub of Sydney, including the opera house, the bridge and ferries chugging back and forth across the harbour is a dazzling and unforgettable sight, especially on a clear sunny day. I love Sydney and am fortunate enough to be able to visit quite regularly, as many family members live in Botany, not far out of the CBD. I hope many of you will be able to visit yourselves, or have already done so.

Across the world, in July 1973, the Opec Oil Crisis began. It came about in 1973, during the Arab-Israeli War and was a punishment to the US for supporting Israel. The Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (ie Opec) refused to sell crude to America and fuel prices there went sky high. Speaking of sky, the oil crisis caused considerable anxiety among those of us in the airline industry. Had it become long term, no doubt our jobs that we liked so much would have been in jeopardy. Fortunately, it only lasted until January1974, so crisis averted.

In November of '73, Princess Anne married Captain Mark Phillips in Westminster Abbey

In November of '73, Princess Anne married Captain Mark Phillips in Westminster Abbey. I was a very young air hostess, only 22, and I was working a shift we referred to as pm standby. The shift began around 2pm and finished about 9pm on this particular day. The hostess on standby was required to be at the airport  and see out every ASA flight thirty minutes prior to its departure, viewing tickets for the correct flight numbers and a seat allocation and direct the passenger to the right aircraft, hopefully. You'd be surprised at the number of people who tried to board the wrong flight. It was a bit confusing, particularly if there were several aircraft on the tarmac. This was done with stickers; boarding passes were a thing of the future. Besides seeing out departing flights we were  to be in the terminal building 10 minutes prior to an incoming flight. 

Assistance was always given to people who needed extra help to board the aircraft, such as elderly passengers, unaccompanied children, or women with several children in tow and multiple carry bags. When seeing out a flight, we were expected to chat to waiting passengers or family and friends awaiting an arrival. Quite often there was an overlap between a departing flight and an incoming flight, so we could be standing in the terminal for quite some time. Also if it was an especially busy day, you can imagine that this was often hard on the feet and we weren't permitted to sit down. Meals had to be coordinated with the aircraft movements on the relevant day. If you had to interrupt lunch or tea, due to a delayed departure or early arrival, then so be it.

Anyway, following my pm standby, I raced home in a taxi. I lived in the hills at the time, but because of the time difference between Britain and Australia, I fortunately made it in time to see the processions through London streets and the wedding service inside the marvellous Abbey. I was more interested in the royals back then. However, today I usually watch weddings of the major royals. I love to see what everyone is wearing and laugh at some very silly hats.

Five Favourite songs from 1973

Crocodile Rock...Elton John

Yesterday Once More...The Carpenters

Never, Never, Never...Shirley Bassey

See My Baby Jive...Wizzard

Touch Me In the Morning...Diana Ross

Next 'You Might Remember This will cover 1974.

Below, is a photo taken from one of the harbour ferries at evening. The bridge stands out against

the sunset. It's a beautiful time to be on the harbour.

 It's a beautiful time to be on the harbour