June

7:30 pm

Three days since the funeral...

"Oh, look," June said, her words slurring together. "The headlines are already calling us the White House duo, Nora. 'The White House Duo Makes Their First Appearance Since the Funeral.' It's like my brother never existed! Isn't that funny?"

June was currently sat in her childhood home in Austin. She was completely waisted. It was just her and Nora. Nora had seen her drunk several times in the last few days. "I think you should lay down," Nora said. Nora sat on the couch beside June.

"No, I feel fine," June said. "I'm totally fine."

Nora took the beer bottle June was drinking from, clearly not believing June at all. June did a overdramatic frown. "You need to switch out your beer bottle for a water bottle," Nora explained.

Nora tossed a water bottle to June. "You're no fun," June groaned. "Come on, drink with me."

"Someone has to make sure you didn't do anything stupid," Nora said. June was convinced there was a secret group chat called "babysitting June" with her parents, Nora, Zahra, Cash, Amy, and even Rafael Luna. If she wasn't drunk, she'd think it was fair.

"But you want to drink?" June asked.

"No," Nora said. "I don't. Your mom has enlisted me to help her with the law suit."

To the surprise of the American people, Ellen went back to being acting president the day after Alex's funeral. However, it was no surprise to those closest to her. They knew if she sat around with her grief any longer, she'd probably snap. The news that Ellen was planning to sue the person who leaked Alex's status without his formal consent quickly followed to no one's surprise. Most people figured it would settle out of court since it wouldn't be smart to fight the president in court.

Though, the actual leak proved was already a pretty stupid move.

"She's going to win," June said. "She could get any first year law student and still win. You can stand to have a drink."

June knew she'd have a massive hangover in the morning, but that's tomorrow's problem. "You really need to go to bed," Nora said. "If not, I will call your mom."

"Snitch," June muttered. "I deserve to drink. I was with him when I got the call."

That must've snapped something in Nora. "You know how I found out Alex was dying?" she asked.

"Like everyone else," June said. "You saw one of the hundreds of news article."

"Actually, I found out because Zahra showed up, storming into my bedroom," Nora explained. "She thought you two had snuck over to my place. That's not even the worst part of it. Your dad found out when a reporter shoved a camera in his face. At least you didn't have to find out through reading an article title. You're going through a lot, but so is everyone. I'm not saying don't grieve. Grieving is healthy, but you can't just shut everyone out and spend your days drinking. You didn't just lose your brother. Your parents lost one kid, Henry lost the man he was going to marry, and I lost one of of my best friends. Don't make us loose someone else too."

There was a beat of silence. She then laughed. "I bet Zahra's face was redder than a tomato," June laughed.

"Okay," Nora said. She stood up. "I can't deal with you right now."

"Where are you going?" June asked, her words slurring.

"To your room," Nora said. Nora made her way to the staircase before turning around to face June. "You know Alex would be disappointed to see you like this."