Old Friends Part:1

Our mistakes can do one of two things. One, you could learn from them and grow as a person. The second? Well you can just keep doing it. As I've noted earlier I wasn't perfect and if anything looking back has taught me that. The Brittany I am today is different from the Brittany you see in this story.

  Andrew and I brought out the worst in each other I think. However, our outcomes were different.

VALENTINE'S DAY

   Like most women in their 20s I was a hopeless romantic. All the movies that you can think of is probably one's that I've watched. My favorite ones were ones that the couples got caught in the rain and kissed each other. Yes it's happened a lot in movies but it's the little things like that get me. This Valentine's day was a big one. It was the first one as a married couple. 

   I went out of my way to make a crafty little hot air balloon. I blown up at least twenty of them, with notes attached . They said things like, "I love you laugh," " you have my heart." I mean shit I know it was cheesy, but I am cheesy. I went to the pizza shop to get his pizza in the shape of a heart. Of course no Valentine's Day is complete without a card.

   I waited all day for him to come home from work. To give him the things I worked on. I imagined his ecstatic reaction. I imagined a happy smile, with a kiss on the cheek and maybe a thank you. The bar wasn't high, and it didn't have to be. I just wanted to make him feel special. To let him know I loved him without having to take my clothes off.

  My friend stopped by with flowers from him and I was so happy. They were beautiful, but there wasn't anything personal written on the card. Just Happy Valentine's Day. Yes that should be enough, but lately I wanted to feel special.  That afternoon he arrived home and I rushed him at the door with a kiss and a hug. "Hey goober, what's got you all excited?"

  "Well I got you something. And made you something." I smiled widely and clapped my hands excitedly.

  "Awe well aren't you cute!" He said rolling his eyes.

I said nothing else but handed him everything. He didn't look at the notes, he didn't smile, he looked at the card for a few seconds. "Thanks babe! Hey can I eat this pizza upstairs and play with the boys?" He spoke like a child wanting permission.

  I nodded and with that, he wasted no time in going up the stairs and playing his games. Me? I walked into the kitchen and looked at my flowers. I poured out my soul into those notes. All I was left with was a broken heart and some pretty flowers.