[13]

Where the hell was he?

Today was the day, the day we were supposed to go against prosecutor Carter and Picasso but his not there. I've called him more than once and he is not doing his part. In a few hours, I'd have to go in that courtroom alone and lose. I don't like losing, yes I've lost a few cases in my life but it's not this serious. Witnesses are essential and he had to come if he didn't he'd be fined or jailed.

Worse because his part of the Mafia.

I cursed under my breath and tried to get a hold of him again, no answer. Prosecutor Carter will have my head, and he'll brag to the entire office how he beat me. Me? Master's degree in law? Lose? Not I wouldn't let it slide not today or ever. I grabbed my coat and walked out of my office.

I stood in front of his large house, one of the few advantages of being a lawyer is legally getting somebody's house address, and when I say legally I mean Jack. I looked up at the door and rang the doorbell. I hated waiting and hated it more whenever I had to ring the doorbell more than once. The sound is so aggravating.

The door suddenly opened and I grinned only to be faced with a woman.

"Hello?" she said to me her British accent thick to my ears, Romeo had a woman? A wife perhaps, I didn't see a ring so he must be the girlfriend. I didn't know why I suddenly choked to answer her back, maybe it was because I thought Romeo was single and didn't fuck with white women. Looks like he had a type and it wasn't me.

That was totally fine, it was just what I hoped...

"Is Romeo here?" I asked and ignored my feelings, she looked at me up and down then looked around the house like I brought someone with me. Now I wish I did, she grabbed my arm and pulled me inside the house. My startled self couldn't even comprehend what was happening before I looked around the place. It didn't faze me how wealthy he was, what fazed me was the British woman who suddenly took out a gun.

I knew my ass should've brought a gun, but I'm not that ghetto.

I raised my arms in defense to show I meant no harm, in my years of living I've never had a gun gun pointed at my face and it looked like she wouldn't shoot because of how her hands shook. Romeo's girlfriend dressed elegantly, more elegant than me. Does Romeo have a thing for well-dressed women?

"Who do you work for?" she asked me the gun still pointed straight ahead. Jack wasn't joking when he said I should taken that self-defense class, I've been choked now gun pointed at. Not the best experience.

"Uh, my law firm?" I answered honestly.

"Law firm?" she repeated with a confused look. I nodded. With a disappointed sigh, she slowly put down the gun and I let out a shaky breath, today I refused to see Hevean. We both stood there silent for a moment before she said, "You're Freyja Adair correct?" she asked once more. I tilted my head and approved that statement.