Laddie

The way he called me "Laddie"-- as if I were not ages older than him-- amused me greatly. In fact, most things about my dwarven companion brought me cheer. His gruffness only concealed a deep feeling heart, one more sensitive than most. Heaven forbid I should dare point it out, he would deny it at once. But I knew. And I suspect he knew that I knew, but trusted me with it. And that was enough.

"Ay, boy, just come and have a look at this. If it isn't the finest thing you've ever seen...look how it sparkles like so many diamonds." Gimli stood, beaming fondly upon the cave walls. He had been most excited to show me these caves for some time now, and I promised when the war was over I would let him show them to me. In fact, we both believed we had seen and might exhibit the most extraordinary sights, and being as game for competition as the dwarf, I promised to show him forests so mighty in their magic they would astound him. 

Now here we were, having taken each other's challenges quite seriously. 

"They are truly beautiful," I acknowledged, reaching up to brush my finger along the bulging stone of the cave wall. The floor and ceiling of it sparkled and reflected and it was all a strangely glowing sight. "I admit I have not seen anything like it."

"Ah ha! What did I say?! I told you it was spectacular!" Gimli gloated.

"It is a sight. I am glad you brought me to see it. But you recall what is next?"

"Of course. You want to show me more trees and leaves and dirt. As if we haven't seen enough of all that already..."

"Oh, but, my friend, these are not just ANY trees. And this is not just any forest. No, but everything is alive with breath and word, where we are to go, and the very branches move in greeting. The birdsong is heavenly beyond imagining. It must be seen and heard and felt to be understood."

At this, Gimli looked nervous. "Eh...the branches move, you say?"

"Without a hint of breeze..." I said, pleased and smiling.

"Well. You don't suppose they'll try to touch me, do you?"

I laughed fully. "Not unless you touch them first!"

"Oh, have no fear of THAT, Laddie. I shall not be touching a single leaf!"

There it was again--"Laddie". And yet I never corrected him, though the term was meant as an endearment from an elder to a young boy. I had often wondered why I did not tease the dwarf about this, why I accepted the term so naturally. But then, I supposed, Gimli reminded me of something--a feeling of fatherly affection I had not received or known before, though I had certainly known my father. Gimli's way was far different. In truth, it moved me, and reached a place in my spirit that was pained, one even I could not fully understand. All I knew was that this rough and touchy little dwarf had given me a sense of family, fondness and home, where few but Aragorn had done as much. 

Gimli had also seen the death of most of his kin, and through the bonds of our fellowship, I felt a protectiveness and understanding of him that few would take patience to learn. For this, I would care for him always, if I could.

"You will want to conceal your ax...in the forest. It is not a friendly reminder for the trees..." I prepared him as we left the glowing caverns behind.

"Legolas," he began with no small amount of annoyance. "Have you ever tried to 'conceal' an ax?! I am a dwarf. WHERE do you suppose I should put it?"

"You could leave it behind..." I said, knowing this would raise his ire even further.

"Leave it be--I shall not be parted from my weapon for any trees!"

"I thought as much. Very well." I said, only half repressing a chuckle. "Suit yourself."