34 - In The Shadows

(A/N: I'm not back from hiatus just yet for the record. I'm just releasing this chapter because it was sitting there unreleased since the start of the break. I'm doing this in honor of the release of Clove)

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

[6:15 PM]

"So does the rest of Legion know this woman, or is she just an unwilling bystander?" Sage asked.

Fade kept her eyes trained on Omega Neon and Omega Fade as they walked hand in hand next to Sage. Neon had opted to wear her hoodie up to not attracted attention and Omega Fade once again had Fades jacket covering her face. Fade was just glad that her vest and shirt were thoroughly repaired thanks to Chambers weird ability to get things fixed in a disconcerting amount of time. But that was all irrelevant.

"Not really. She was friends with uh...our Chamber. Allegedly. But I can't tell that idiot doesn't even know her name. We just know she was a gatekeeper of sorts before the first few agents even joined the Legion. It's like one of those things we really didn't question. But in our defense, we haven't used this portal in over a year." Omega Neon explained.

"It was obvious. Considering the state of that place..." Killjoy murmured.

"Well, what can you do. The scientists abandoned the place because they were close to being discovered on multiple occasions. Who cares. Doesn't matter to me." Omega Neon said with a half shrug.

Their conversation was cut off by Omega Fade covering her mouth with her free hand and giving a stifled and pain-filled cough. It made everyone immediately go silent, and Fade herself noticed the way Omega Neon moved closer to the older woman. She placed a comforting hand on Omega Fades arm and whispered something to her that the others couldn't hear.

"Do you need-"

"No. She doesn't need your help. Nothing you do will work on her. I'll help her if it comes down to it. But I don't want you touching her." Omega Neon said, cutting Sage off.

"Hey. There's no need to be so hostile. She was just trying to offer help." Neon suddenly spoke up.

Omega Neon went silent, but she kept a steady glare directed towards her counterpart. Fade kept her own glare towards the Omega woman and once she locked eyes with her, it became a stare-down for a moment. In the very back of her mind, Fade heard the faint growl from Nightmare. It was agitated again. She could sense a strange aura of fear nearby that wasn't familiar to her. She knew what everyone's aura felt like because they almost all had their unique tastes to them. But this one felt....small.

"What the-"

The words left Fades mouth before she could stop them as she felt something run into her. Her Radiance flared up and she was ready to tear into whatever was still currently clinging to her right now. But once she laid eyes on the literal child that was currently latched into her, she found her anger had turned into confusion. This little boy couldn't have been more than eight years old and he was hugging her hip like a lifeline. Her skin was crawling uncomfortably and she wanted nothing more than to shake him off.

Everyone had stopped and was staring at her right now. Next to her, Neon was shifting her gaze from the child, back up to her over and over again as if she was trying to figure out what to do.

"It seems like you have a new friend, Fade. I did not take you to be the type to attract kids." Chamber said, chuckling.

"I think we should be more focused on whose child this is. The sun has already set and it's dangerous for this child to be out here by himself. He needs to go back to his home." Sage said, approaching the kid.