Chapter 15: Hydrophobic

Estella's POV

Kaitlyn drags me away as I watch the other group walk to the radio shack, "I know you don't want to separate from Kaci but she will be fine," she says.

I look at her and give a small smile as she brings me back to the situation that's happening in front of us, "She doesn't look so good," Kaitlyn whispers as we step away from her. Nick's kneeling beside her as she shivers from the rain. He goes to get up but she death grips his arm pulling him closer. I turn away as Emma looks at me with a look I can't distinguish. This is such an uncomfortable situation. She knows I like him and I can't get mad at her, right? She likes him too and it's not like we are a couple or anything. She's also hurt...I wish I had gone with the other group.

"Estella," Nick says from his spot on the floor. Kaitlyn pats my back before sitting on the bench at the side of the room, "Could you look for a heater?" He asks. His accent is thick as he looks down at Abi worried. I'm thankful the rain takes up most of the silence. I hear Nick and Abi talking but I move as far away as possible so I don't have to listen. I open up a small locker and there's a ripped picture inside.

"What kid drew this? It's terrifying.... let's just lock that up and pretend we never saw it," I whisper to myself. The heater is sitting in the corner when I continue walking, "Here Abi," I whisper bringing it over and turning it on. She doesn't say anything as she holds the sweatshirt tighter to her body. I try not to roll my eyes cause I know she's hurt.

"Stella," Kailyn calls. She motions for Emma and I to come over, "How's she doing?" She asks as we sit down. I keep my eyes on Nick as he whispers to her.

"She's okay for now," Emma says stressed about her friends, "The heater should work and if we stay in here we will be fine," she says like she's trying to convince herself more than us.

"Did you see the way she reacted to the water?" Kailyn asks.

"How could you miss it?"

"Doesn't rabies make you aquaphobic?" She asks making Emma widen her eyes.

"Hydrophobic and it wouldn't happen that fast, right? I think that takes like a couple of days to kick in at least," I point out. The three of us stare at Abi as she sits up a little on the floor.

"What are you guys staring at?" She asks looking directly at me, "sorry Stella but I think you can deal with Nick being over someone other than you for one night," she says making my mouth drop open a little.

"Abi, we are worried about you," Kailyn says as she laughs.

"Come on. Look at the way she's looking at him. It's like he was bit and not me," she argues.

"What is your problem tonight? Everything I have done is to try and help you," I point out.

This only causes her to laugh, "How's that working out?" She asks with more aggression in her tone. I stand up from the bench and she copies my movements, "Why couldn't you and Kaci have stayed home this summer? We didn't need you," She says making my chest tighten. I walk closer so maybe we can talk about this with a little privacy but she doesn't seem interested in talking it out. I glance at Nick and he backs up a bit moving more towards Kaitlyn and Emma.

"I...is....is this about the bonfire? Abi, you know I wouldn't have....," I try explaining before she cuts me off, "Stupid. Innocent Stella is always the victim," she says making me freeze up.

"Why are you saying all of this?" I ask as Nick tries to intervene, "This isn't you," I tell her. I don't know what that bite did to her but this isn't the same Abi I spent all summer with.

"Why are you into her? Come on," she says looking at Nick, "I mean Emma or Kaci I understand but her," she adds.

"That's enough," Nick says as she narrows her eyes and laughs looking between the two of us.

"She doesn't deserve you," she says walking closer. The next thing I know my body is slammed against the lockers on the back wall. I clutch my side as I hear the others screaming my name. I turn my head and watch her push Nick to the floor as she starts holding her head and screaming. The gun is lying on the counter in front of me so I lunge for it and aim it at her. Her eyes have black veins around them...what's happening to her?

"Abi," I whisper as she goes to run at me. I pull the trigger feeling the recoil in my shoulder. I drop the gun at the pain from the impact of her throw. I lean against the locker and slide to the ground. Her screams get worse as she falls to her knees.

There's so much going on and then there's blood everywhere. Everyone is too stunned to move as this thing stands where Abi just was. I wipe my eyes as the creature runs out of the window, shattering the glass next to me. I cover my body as I lean my head on the lockers trying to hide the pain shooting up my arm.

"What have I done?" I whisper closing my eyes.