Chapter 25: Mistakes

Estella's POV

My heart is racing as I turn seeing her body erupting into blood and guts leaving the beast behind. Jacob yells something but I can barely hear him through the growling and the sound of my blood pumping in my ears. I climb as fast as I can getting to the top to turn around and help Nick up. I scream his name as his foot hits a rung on the ladder and falls out from under him. His arms slip and he falls down slightly.

Jacob pulls me back and lays on the floor to hold his hand out. The animal grabs onto him but his arms are holding onto Jacob and me. He looks down screaming as its teeth sink into his leg. My heart shatters as another one of us is destined to turn. Kaci lets go of his legs for a second giving us time to pull him up. I slam the door closed and struggle to push the desk over as Nick bleeds onto the floor. I stand up staring down at him as Jacob puts pressure on the wound, "What did Kaci say about first aid?" He rambles as he blindly does things. I kneel down next to Nick's head as beads of sweat drip down his forehead.

A gunshot goes off making all of us freeze, "Who could that be?" I whisper trying not to bring attention to us in the back office. Jacob gets up and locks the door so nobody...at least nobody human can get inside.

"It was probably a hunter just stay quiet," Jacob whispers as he tries to find bandages in Chris's office. I turn back to Nick and see him going pale, adrenaline and shock taking over. I kneel beside him again and put my hand on his cheek. I smile as he leans into my touch as a stray tear falls from my eyes.

"I'll be fine. Ryan and Laura are going to figure it out," he says with a weak smile, "You're supposed to be the strong one," he jokes.

I laugh as he wipes the tear from my eye, "We are going to get you help. I don't want you to turn," I whisper brushing his hair out of his face. Jacob comes running over almost tripping on the rug, his hand letting go of a towel smacking into Nick's face. I glare at the clumsy man as I move it to see Nick with a smile at his friend.

"Kaci said we have to disinfect it first," He says holding up a bottle of vodka that Chris was hiding. I turn back to Nick, and he braces himself for how badly this is going to hurt. Jacob opens the bottle throwing the cap and pours it over his leg. I cringe as Nick bites down on the towel his body tensing as Jacob works on the wound.

"Can you hurry up he's in pain?" I panic as Jacob stops and tells me to pass him the towel. I hand it over and look down seeing Nick grabbing my hand, "You're okay. We have an hour. You're not going to turn," I tell him not knowing if it's true. Hopefully, Ryan and Laura pull through.

"I can still help," he says trying to get up. I push him down and look at him like he's crazy, "Please. I don't want to sit in here alone," He reveals as he squeezes my hand again.

"We aren't going to leave you," I tell him as something slams down in the main room of the lodge. I jump and turn to Jacob as we both look at each other, "What the hell was that? That wasn't a hunter," I whisper.

Jacob stands up and goes to the door. Nick lets go of my hand and lets me follow, "I can hear it. We have to draw it away from Nick," He whispers as we both glance back at him. Panic rises in my throat, and I feel like I could throw up as I hear the claws digging into the floor as it walks.

"It's too dangerous," I tell him as he shakes his head, "If you turn, I'm jumping face-first into the pit with Kaci. I can't do this alone," I scold him as he nods his head.

"If it comes in here...he can't exactly run," He sasses as I shove his shoulder, so he lowers his voice. He shrinks down and looks at the door. I can see the thoughts going in his brain as he grabs the door handle. I try to stop him but he's rushing out grabbing the gun from the wall. I look back at Nick and rush out after Jacob. I grab a table and push it in front of the door so he can't get out and the monster can't get in.

"You aren't facing this thing alone," I whisper as he grabs my hand. The two of us slowly walk through the house hearing footsteps above us. I catch a glimpse of Dylan running upstairs as Kaitlyn is in front of him. My heart drops when the beast swings almost hitting him. I scream not thinking it through giving the pair time to hide. Then it barrels towards us.

"Oh shit"