Chapter 2: Losing Daylight

Kaci's POV

"What even happened to the car? It sounded terrible," Abi asks.

"It's probably a faulty battery or a clogged fuel filter or something," Kaitlyn suggests.

"What does that even mean?" Emma asks.

"I don't know. Do I look like a mechanic to you?" Kaitlyn says.

"Whatever it is, it seems pretty bad," Nick speaks up.

"Ugh. Do you guys think we're actually going to be stuck here tonight?" Emma groans, "Because I was so ready to get the internet back."

"Seems like it," Jacob shrugs, "But it's not the worst thing in the world. Now we have one more night here with no kids, no supervision, and no responsibilities. We could have a little bit of fun."

"Was that supposed to make me feel better?" Emma crosses her arms.

"I can't believe I'm saying this," Dylan starts, feigning disgust, "But I think Jacob might be right. We could potentially throw the hottest party of the summer tonight."

"Uh yeah, not to burst your bubble, but Mr. H would actually have a heart attack if he ever found out we threw a party here without him knowing," Estella says.

"Well Stell, as Mr. H loves to say, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger," Dylan emphatically says.

As Mr. H's car finally takes the last turn to leave camp, Ryan joins the group.

When he doesn't say anything, Jacob says, "So? What did he say?"

"We're going to be stuck here until tomorrow morning," Ryan informs us which results in a few groans from the group, "Mr. H told us to stay inside the entire night, and not to leave for any reasons."

"Did he say why?" Abi asks.

"No," Ryan replies.

"That might be hard to do if we're planning the party of the summer tonight," Dylan grins.

Ryan's eyebrows scrunch together, "Party?"

"Yeah. You didn't think we were going to waste tonight sitting inside, did you?"

"That's exactly what I thought we would do," Ryan replies, "There's no way we're having a party."

"Come on, Ryan. We had to deal with kids all summer. This is our reward. We deserve a proper celebration," Dylan says.

Ryan shakes his head, "We can't."

Dylan turns toward him, "P A R T Y the fuck not?"

"Because Mr. H put me in charge, and he instructed us to stay inside," Ryan replies.

"Gosh, Ryan. You don't need to listen to everything Mr. H says. Listen to this instead. Dylan's in for the party. I'm clearly in. Nick's obviously in. Kaitlyn's in," Jacob pauses and then looks at me, "Kaci?"

"Yeah, I'm in. It sounds fun," I nod.

Jacob claps excitedly, "Yes. See, this is why all the kids called you Kool Kaci."

I laugh, "No one called me that."

"If that's true, then what did the kids call me?" Dylan asks.

"Devilishly-handsome Dylan."

Dylan nods, "Now I know he's telling the truth."

Estella laughs, "You guys are so lame. But I'm also in for a party."

I look over at the other girls, "Em? Abi?"

They glance at each other before saying, "Yeah, we're in. It's not like there's anything else better to do."