ONE

Hello everyone this is my first work. And I'm trying to write something new. Hope you all will like it.
Lots of love xo.

Also English is not my first language. So kindly forgive me if I write something wrong.

Dear readers, if you're reading this then thanks for giving my work a try. You can find starting chapters a little boring but I assure you that the further chapters will be good.

◇◇◇◇

MAITHILI'S POV :

How would you feel when your father barges into your room one night and announces that you're getting married next week?

What will you feel when you walk down the aisle to marry a man you know nothing about?

What will be your thoughts sitting next to a complete stranger performing holy rituals?

"Ab aap kanya ki mang mein sindoor bharein"

(Now fill vermilion in the bride's hair partition)

I was pulled out of my thoughts by Panditji's words. I saw how he wordlessly picked up the sindoordani and took a pinch of vermilion between his forefinger & thumb.

He slightly lifted my veil, brought his hand to my hair partition, and filled my hairline without lifting his eyes.

(Priest)

Just then I realized that he never once looked at my side the entire time we've sat here. His eyes were cold and boring holes in the metal pot placed in front of him.

Doesn't he want to look at his would-be wife once?

Was he also forced into this Marriage?

This thought widened my eyes. Though I was the bride still I took a few glances at him here and there but no one noticed it. Thanks to the veil.

"Now I announce you both as husband and wife"

That's it. I'm no more a free bird now, my wings are caged. Now I'm a married woman. Married to a man whose name I don't even know.

I didn't realize when we sat inside the car and now we're on our way to his house. I did not cry meeting my parents or any family member cause honestly, they never cared.

I am on my own since I was 15. I was never the picky one, so I adjusted to whatever I was provided.

Mother was so busy with Vaishali and her parties. She never had time for me.

Father was civil with me in the initial years but when I turned 12, he also changed.

Now, at 22, I'm all alone in life.

You have him now, your husband.

My conscience said and I scoffed at the very thought. The person who didn't utter a single word in the whole marriage and this 45 mins of ride, would even want to talk with me.

Opening of the car door pulled me out of my thoughts. I looked up and saw him forwarding his hand to me. What does he want now? I looked here and there trying to figure out what is he asking for but didn't find anything.

"Raat bhar yaheen baithne ka irada hai kya?" he said rudely. then I realized that he was asking for my hand. I hurriedly placed my hand on his and stood up only to get imbalanced as my leg twisted. Thanks to the heels. Before I could fall, I placed my hand on his shoulder and composed myself.

I looked up and saw we were standing in front of a tall building. He moved away from me and started going inside in long strides. I tried to match his pace and entered the lift before it could be closed.

I saw as he pressed the 1st floor button and the lift started. Soon we were standing inside his apartment. It's cold here just like how I felt in my parent's house. No homely vibes.

I wanted to ask him about his family cause I didn't see anyone who could resemble him but do I have the courage to ask, NO, A BIG NO!

I looked around and saw there were 3 doors, a kitchen, and a balcony. That's it. The hall is big and two couches are placed in there.

I was absorbing the details of the house I'm going to live in for the rest of my life if he doesn't kick me out. I could feel his eyes on me but didn't say anything. I was so lost that I didn't realize he was going.

One of the doors slammed shut then only I realize that he was gone. But I'm still standing here in this unknown house. I don't know where to go. Should I go in the same room he went? And immediately shook my head.

I'm tired, this outfit is so heavy and I'm not habitual to these. But my suitcase is also not present here. Sighing I went to the couch and sat there. Guess my first night after the wedding will be spent on this couch.

I lay down and everything that happened from morning to night started playing inside my head. With all these thoughts, I don't know when sleep consumed me.

Hope tomorrow brings something good for me.

☆ ☆ ☆

That's it for the first chapter. Do vote if you like it.