Asking Grandma

"YES! Absolutely and undoubtedly yes! You definitely should try this, Kala!"

That wasn't a statement that came out of Kala's grandma's mouth. It was Kwon Aesung, Kala's best friend since the first day of middle school.

Aesung just arrived at the town square a few minutes ago after missing Kala's busking, again. This was the third time she woke up late and couldn't make it on time.

Kala who was tying her Converse shoelaces sighed. "But it's in Seoul. It's not like a cheap trip for both me and Halmeoni¹ to go. And I'm sure she will never let me go alone." (¹Grandma)

"She'll let you, trust me." 

"Yeah? Doubt it."

Aesung groaned. "I'll come with you. She can't say no to that."

"Yes, she can," Kala deflected. "We're both 13, Aesung-ah. She won't let both of us go."

"How about I paㅡ"

"You're not going to pay anything, Kwon Aesung," Kala cut her immediately before Aesung could say "ferry tickets".

"Ugh, I know you were going to say that." Aesung rolled her eyes, defeated.

"And I know you were going to say that." Kala put her feet down from the bench after she was done with the shoelaces. "Look, I know you have more than enough money for that and just want to help, but Halmeoni won't like it if you spend your money on us."

"I know." Aesung sighed sadly. "But Kala, this is maybe your only chance. That woman said it herself that it'll be such a waste if you don't take this. You have a wonderful voice, Kala, you will pass this audition in an instant and it'll be worth it."

"You think so?"

"I know so."

Kala breathed out and took that flyer audition from Aesung's hand. "Well, I can try asking Halmeoni, butㅡ"

"Well then let's go!" Before Kala could ruin her enthusiasm, Aesung grabbed her wrist and dragged her to her feet.

"Wait, my guitar!"

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

[Cha Mikyung as Kala's Grandma]

The market where Kala's grandma opened her small restaurant was quite full of people. Kala was struggling with her guitar bag to not knock people while Aesung was still dragging her arm. This friend of hers seriously needed to calm down.

"Aesung-ah, you're about to rip my arm off," Kala complained, but Aesung ignored her until they arrived in front of a small outlet with a smell that made passers-by suddenly feel hungry.

"Halmeoni!" Aesung greeted excitedly.

Grandma Mikyung who just served two bowls of kimchi stew to customers turned her head to them. "Oh, you're both here? Have you eaten?"