CHAPTER 33 - Green Flames of Jealousy

Rei didn't really plan on getting Eld to sleep with her, but once they were in her room, she didn't mind the idea, especially after the interaction with Levi, which made her thoughts run in all the wrong directions.

          "So, what favor did you... "

Eld's voice wandered off as Rei slowly approached him, glancing up at him from under her eyelashes. His cheeks flushed red, the usual reaction of men when she looked at them that way.

          "I remember," Rei started, her voice as smooth as honey. "When you flirted with me at Charlotte's."

Eld inhaled deeply, looking away from Rei as if it would make him focus.

          "Yeah, well, I was drunk, and- "

          "So... You don't want me?" she asked innocently.

          "W- Want you?" Eld repeated, his gaze confused.

          "I've always liked you, you know." Rei traced the edges of his jacket with her hands. "You're a handsome guy."

          "Rei... "

          "Don't you want to give it a try?"

Eld opened his mouth, some stuttering words leaving him. Rei leaned forward, making his eyes glance down at her lips.

The moment before they kissed, Eld grabbed Rei by her shoulders, keeping her in place. He exhaled deeply, looking at the ground. He slowly shook his head.

          "I'm flattered, Rei, I really am," he said, returning his gaze to hers. "But this isn't you. We've been friends for over a year, and I don't plan on ruining that over some attraction."

The sincerity in Eld's eyes made a feeling of guilt settle in Rei's chest. She became angry with herself for acting that way, for even thinking of using him because she was unable to cope with her emotions. She cursed, stepping back to sit on a chair, burying her hand in her blood-like hair.

          "I'm sorry," she sighed. "You're right."

Eld remained standing in place, questioningly looking at his friend. He snickered, leaning back on the door.

          "I guess I'm the first man to ever reject you," he teased.

          "Shut up," Rei groaned, shooting him a glare from under her eyebrows, but joined him as he laughed. "Fuck, I need a drink."

Eld raised his eyebrows, smirking.

          "I have a bottle in my room."

          "Whiskey?"

          "Rum."

          "It'll do."

It was far over midnight when Rei left Eld's room, her cheeks hurting from laughter

It was far over midnight when Rei left Eld's room, her cheeks hurting from laughter. It had been a long time since she drank, so the alcohol hit her harder than she was used to. Her body pleasantly tingled as she staggered through the hallways, quietly humming a song to herself. Her red hair was a mess from the braid Eld attempted to create and failed miserably.