- 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 -

when i close my eyes, all the stars align.

"PADAWAN SITARA, if you begin your report," Master Windu instructed Regina. The Padawan nodded her head respectfully, her arms folded across her dark brown Padawan robes. She stood in the center of the High Council Chamber, positioned so that she was facing both Grand Master Yoda as well as Master Windu. She thought it was ironic that she and her Master had not been back in Coruscant more than an hour before the Council had been called into session—with a direct summons for her. They were desperate to hear her report, apparently. That was great.

"Thank you, Master," she said humbly. She had to be careful and concise. Give out minimal details without outright lying to the Council. They could not find out about the dispute she and Skywalker had had, even despite the progress she herself had made.

"Asking about how you found Skywalker, we are," Master Yoda explained patiently, cutting into Regina's thoughts and eyeing her with a note of curiosity.

She let out a sigh, anxiety threatening to overwhelm her. Regina hated reporting to the Council; these were twelve of the most intimidating Jedi in the entire galaxy and they expected her to give a thorough report without the help of her Master. Of course, she had given reports before, but this one... This one might be detrimental to her future, in the short term, though it might be.

"Tension I feel in you, Young One," Yoda observed.

"Yes, Master," Regina said, now feeling embarrassed. "Public speaking makes me nervous." Let them think that was the sole reason for her anxiety. It wasn't a complete lie, after all.

"You'll have to get used to it if you wish to become a Jedi Knight," Windu cut in. He was looking at her suspiciously. That only made Regina feel nervous all over again. Master Windu had that effect on people.

"Proceed you may, Padawan," Yoda instructed.

"I found Padawan Skywalker on the planet Umbar," Regina began, speaking slowly and clearly, making sure all members of the Council could hear her. "He had been living in a cave for a few days and was not difficult to find. After determining that a sandstorm was coming, we both decided that it was not safe to travel, and stayed in the cave overnight. The following morning, we made our report to our Masters and met at the rendezvous."

The Council was silent as Regina finished her tale. The anticipation was killing her. She all but prayed that they wouldn't push any other answers out of her.

"And the details that you were to carry out," Plo Koon spoke up. Regina turned her head as the Master addressed her. By the expression on his face, Regina suddenly got a bad feeling. In most respects, she liked Plo Koon; however, the way he was speaking made her nervous. "Did you complete that portion of the mission?"

This was exactly what she was hoping to avoid.

There was nothing else to say.

She inclined her head again, this time in shame and worry.

"No, Master," she said to him, not daring to meet his eyes. Maybe if she acted humble they would refrain from carrying out the judgments they had pronounced right before they had sent her and Quillow on this mission.

Sure enough, the Council started whispering among themselves, as if each of the Jedi were trying to decide on what to do. The anxiety that had built in Regina's chest throughout this entire time was making her nauseous. Unfortunately, the utter silence was making it worse.

"The consequences stand," Windu finally spoke up, turning his attention back to the girl standing before him in addition to the Council. "However, we believe that we should wait to hear Skywalker's side of the story. If he feels the same way you did during this meeting, Padawan Sitara, the outcome will be as we described. Am I clear?" Windu looked over at her, his brown, intimidating eyes seeming to see right into her heart.

"I understand, Master," she said, trying to keep her voice from faltering. She didn't know exactly what the consequences were to be—the Council had informed her Master but not her—yet she knew that she wouldn't like the outcome.

"Dismissed, you are," Yoda instructed. Without another word, Regina bowed to the Jedi before heading out of the doors to see Master Quillow standing before her.

"You told the Council?" the Wookie questioned, his fury face expressionless. Regina winced at his stern tone but nodded.

"Yes, Master," Regina explained.

"Very good." Quillow began heading down the massive hall in the direction of his Jedi chambers.

"What are we to do now, Master?" Regina wanted to know, trotting to catch up with his long stride.

"We are to wait for Skywalker and Kenobi to come back," Willow explained patiently. "And then the Council will give the final verdict."

She smiled ironically, of course.

She hated this, it drove her insane.

And the worst part about it was that it was Skywalker's fault.

✮ ⋆ ˚。𖦹 ⋆。°✩

authors note:

soooo i decided to publish two chapters tonight bc they're both so short oops but i promise that the chapters will definitely get longer! (especially the next one) i also swear there will be more of anakin here soon we just have to get the preliminaries out of the way

regardless i hope you liked this chapter as well (even tho anakin wasn't in it lmao)

-addy<3