𝟎𝟏𝟔

╭┈─────── ೄྀ࿐ ACT ONEˊˎ-

╰┈➤ ❝ [𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟎𝟏𝟔] ❞                  

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

୨⎯"He belongs to the Maze now."⎯୧

ᴵⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᴹᵃᶻᵉ ᴿᵘⁿⁿᵉʳ ᵗⁱᵐᵉˡⁱⁿᵉ

ᵗʰᵉ ᴹᵃᶻᵉ ᴿᵘⁿⁿᵉʳ ⁱᵐᵉˡⁱ

Madylin slowly opened her eyes, wincing as she felt the sharp pain at the back of her head. With a groan, she rubbed the sore spot as she sat up slowly and took in her surroundings. Oddly enough, something about rubbing a bruise was a comforting pain to her.

The Medhut was quiet and starting to darken as the sunset. It was empty. No Jeff, no Clint, no Newt... She couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness in her stomach as she thought about where everyone might be. Preparing for the worst thing the Gladers had to experience: Banishment.

The creaking of the door caught her attention and she turned to see Thomas entering with a jar of water. "You're awake," he said softly, offering her the jar.

"Thanks," Madylin replied with a small smile, taking a few gulps of the refreshing liquid. "Where's everyone?"

Thomas's expression fell. "They're uh..."

"Oh..." she cut the boy off, knowing where he was going. Though, she wished for a different answer.

Another creak of the door made them both turn their heads - this time it was the young, chubby boy, Chuck, peeking inside. "It's about to start...if you want to come," he said softly, looking sad and nervous at the same time.

Thomas thanked him and Madylinstayed silent, ignoring Chuck's presence completely. Thomas eyed the girl's interaction with Chuck, frowning.

Once they were alone again, Thomas spoke up. "Can I ask you something?"

"What?" Madylin asked, getting off the cot slowly.

"Why do you act so cold towards everyone?" Thomas blurted out before she could walk away.

"I don't," she replied dryly.

"Yes, you do - even towards Chuck. He's just a kid."

"We're all just kids, Thomas." She retorted.

"That's not an excuse. You only let Gally and Newt get close to you." He states, "What did the rest of us do to deserve this?"

"Thomas, stop," Madylin warned, feeling her walls starting to crumble.