CHAPTER 3

(Ella's POV)

I may or may not have snuck off by myself to go after the di Angelos. I know, I know its dangerous..but it didn't matter, because saving their lives were important.

So I went through a door that led into a dark hallway. I heard sounds of scuffling up ahead, then a painful grunt. I drew stormcatcher. The blade glowed faintly, casting a silver light on the rows of lockers.

I jogged down the corridor, but when I got to the other end, no one was there. I didn't see Dr. Thorn anywhere, but there on the opposite side of the room was Percy & the di Angelo kids. Percy couldn't seem to move, then I noticed why.

His shoulder seemed to be pinned to the wall by a spike of some sort.
I walked closer, lowering the tip of my sword, I said to the di Angelos. "It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you."

They didn't answer. Their eyes were full of fear. What was wrong? Where was Dr. Thorn? Maybe he'd retreated. Monsters hated celestial bronze or silver weapons.

"My name's Elena," I said, trying to keep my voice level. "I'm going to take you out of here, get you somewhere safe."

"Nora, get out of here. Dr. Thorn he-" Percy started to say.

Before he could finish I sensed something fly towards me. I quickly turned around, slashed & deflected a spike with my sword but not before it managed to graze the side of my ribs.

A cold laugh echoed through the hall.
"Yes, yes welcome heroes!" Dr. Thorn said. "I know who you are."

I tried to stand up straight but quickly winced because it was getting harder, the cut began to burn like something familiar I'd felt before. Poison.

"Nora.." Percy said.

"I'm fine." I muttered forcing myself to concentrate. I would NOT pass out.

A dark silhouette now moved toward us. Dr. Thorn stepped into the dim light. He looked human, but his face was ghoulish. He had perfect white teeth & his brown/blue eyes reflected the light of my sword.

"Thank you for coming out of the gym," he said. "I hate middle school dances."

I tried to swing my sword again, but he was just out of reach.

WHIIIISH! A second projectile shot from somewhere behind Dr. Thorn. He didn't appear to move. It was as if someone invisible was behind him, throwing knives.

Bianca yelped. The second thorn impaled itself in the stone wall, half an inch from her face.

"All four of you will come with me," Dr. Thorn said. "Quietly. Obediently. If you make a single noise, if you call out for help or try to fight, I will show you just how accurately I can throw."

I didn't know what kind of monster Dr. Thorn was, but he was fast.

Maybe I could defend myself. But defending the di Angelo kids was another matter. We needed help.

"What are you doing, Jackson?" Dr. Thorn hissed at Percy. "Keep moving!"

"It's my shoulder," he said. "It burns."

"Bah! My poison causes pain. It will not kill you. Walk!"

Thorn herded us outside, & I tried to focus on walking.

Thorn inarched us into the woods. We took a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplights. My side ached. The wind blowing through my ripped clothes was so cold that I felt like a popsicle.

"There is a clearing ahead," Thorn said. "We will summon your ride."

"What ride?" Bianca demanded. "Where are you taking us?"