2

"Mason..." Y/n breaths out, white fog form before it disappears into thin air.

Mason sat still, dazed and mesmerized by the sight of stars twinkling.

"Mason." Y/n said firmly and a bit louder that Mason snap from his dazed, "what are you doing outside? It's cold out here."

Mason smiles, and turn his head toward Y/n, "just looking at the stars, I can't help but think it's pretty."

Y/n look confused before moving her head to the sky. Stars blinking with dark clouds, both dancing the night away.

She nod her head, "it is pretty."

The two went quiet. Letting the cold breeze flow through them, and a shiver to remind both of them have to get inside.

Mason stood up and starts to walk to the pathway leading to the house. Y/n followed, until she halt in a second before looking at the garden. She squint her eyes to see red faint fog can be seen in the distance, its smoke floating freely.

"Hey, do you see that?" Y/n ask which made Mason look at her.

"See what?"

"Over there." Y/n gesture at the forest with red fogs.

Mason didn't say anything until he brush it off, "who knows, personally I wouldn't care. We'll just tell the parents then they'll decide what to do."

"Are you sure?" Y/n begin walking, "it looks pretty, but I don't think red fog exists, or at least in my days of living."

Mason just stay quiet but gave few more glances at the fog, as if he's wondering what causes it as well.

The two return to their aunt's home, worriedly glancing with each other were shared before telling their aunt. The aunt, after being told of the sight, look concerned before hurriedly talk with Mason and Y/n's parent in a hush whispered.

"What do you think they're talking about?" Mason whispers to Y/n.

"I think they're talking about the red fog in the garden." Y/n whisper as she went her way to the living room, "let's go and see our cousins, maybe they know what's up."

Mason shrug it off and follow her.

That same night when Y/n and all her cousins head to bed, Y/n woke up from her short sleep to a suffocating air, she opens her mouth to breath but the air didn't come. She thought that someone covered her mouth and nose, however it was proven wrong.

Standing from her bed, she easily navigated her way outside the bedroom, despite the room being dark. Covering her mouth and nose with one hand while the other push the door open. The light outside her room is still open, in which blinded Y/n causing her to close her eyes.

'What going on?'

Y/n open her eyes to see the same red fog on the floor. She narrows her eyes in suspicion before running toward all her cousin's assigned room.

First, she visited the twin. Opening the door with one hand only before rushing to his side, she shook him gently. When he didn't respond, she turn the body over to face her. What she didn't expect was that his chest was not moving. In slightly panic, she did the same thing to the other twin. It was then she realized, or decided, that both died from the fog.

Eyes watering, she rush toward the next room. In it is a nursing room, a six-months old baby sleeping in the crib. Y/n's hands starts to tremble in fear before trying to wake the baby up. Shaking its body over and over again, feeling desperate. But just like what she did to the twin, the newborn baby did not respond to her gently shakes. She's died in her crib, peacefully sleeping and never get to open her eyes to grow up.