All I See is You

Yellowstone had always been their second home and Coralee and Katie treated it that way. They never knocked, unless they were fooling around, like knocking on the door and yelling, "Trick or Treat" when it was opened.

Beth hated it, but she'd given up complaining about her cousins. Her Uncle Benjamin had grown up in the house, along with her father, and he never thought of it as anything other than home. But she hated the way her relatives would go in and out, treating it like it was still their home, as far as she was concerned, it wasn't.

"The Twins", as Kayce called them even though they weren't, annoyed her. They were ten years younger than her, spoiled by everyone in the family, and treated like little princesses, and she resented it. She hated the way they went through life as if they didn't have a care in the world. To make things worse, when she was young Katie started flirting with Rip who didn't always seem to mind, although she thought he should.

"It's harmless, Beth," he told her, "They're teenagers, for crying out loud, they're just silly kids."

"I was never a silly kid," she replied, "They know we're together so why are they doing it?"

He shrugged, "To annoy you because they know it bothers you? And yes, you were never a silly kid, you've always been serious. Sometimes, lady, you've even been a little scary."

She was standing in the hallway, holding her drink, when the girls came in. Coralee took one look at her and said,

"Not now, Beth, I'm not in the mood, I don't feel like fighting." She and Katie went to the living room, leaving Beth, and her drink, and an annoyed look on her face.

Jamie was standing in the living room pouring a drink for himself. Where Kayce called them the twins, he called them "The Heavenly Twins". They were lovely and lively and affectionate and didn't have Beth's sour outlook on life. When he saw them, he smiled, the little puckered smile his lips formed.

They tackled him, one coming from each side. "Hey, stop that, you're not five anymore, act like ladies will you?" He poured them each a drink and they clinked the glasses together.

The front door opened and closed, and they could hear voices. They could hear the voices of Kayce, and Uncle John, coming up the hallway and soon she saw Travis smiling at her. Their eyes met and she ran to him, putting her arms around him and hugging him tightly.

'I'm so glad to see you," she said as he tightened his arms around her.

"Well, I guess the cat's out of the bag now," he said and kissed the top of her head.

"Congratulations, honey," Uncle John said, "You're going to have to tame this cowboy, think you're up to it?"

"I don't know about that," said Travis, and he and John laughed.

Gator had prepared a feast of barbeque spareribs and sweet potatoes, and John brought out a bottle of champagne from the cellars. Everyone, except for Beth, drank their health and congratulated them. Beth looked as if she were going to be sick but no one paid attention. Rip toasted them, he harbored no ill will toward either sister, and he liked Travis. Beth would be Beth, but though he loved her he did not always understand her.

It was going to be an early morning, they would be up before sunrise. She was heading up to bed, looking for Katie, but she was nowhere to be seen. I can guess where you are, big sister, she thought, but you better get here before dawn. You think I'm good at getting into trouble, but you can still outdo me. I wonder if Ryan knows what he's in for.

Travis kissed her good night, "I'll see you in the morning," he told her, "I've got to talk to John."

"Good night, honey," her uncle said, "Get a good night's sleep, big day tomorrow."