Helena

Coralee sat on the front porch, drinking the blueberry lemonade Gator had made for her. Like everything else he made, it had his special touch. He had mashed the berries and combined them with the freshly squeezed lemon juice. It had been sweetened with simple syrup, and fresh, cold water from the Dutton well. He had thrown fresh berries into the glass and poured the concoction over them.

Yum, she thought and took another sip. Gator could make a fortune if he decided to open a restaurant or a full-time catering business. He could teach classes, too, he was the type of person who would teach you how to make something and make sure you made it right. She was sure she'd gained weight in the short time since she'd returned to the ranch.

She heard the sound of a truck engine before she saw it, one of the "Rams" that Uncle John used these days. She preferred Fords and thought they were more reliable, but the Rams were fun to drive. Travis had just bought one, they were still debating what to get for her. Probably an SUV, it would work better for accommodating a baby seat.

Someone got out of the truck cab, and when she looked she saw Ryan making his way up to the lodge. She had thought it would be Rip, but if he was busy the task would fall to Ryan. He looked at her and smiled, then tipped his hat.

He came up the steps and then sat next to her. "One truck for the lady," he said and handed her the keys. "I've filled it up so you should be able to get to Helena and back, without having to stop for gas."

"Thank you, Ryan, would you like something to drink? This lemonade is good, or we've got cold beer. I know you cowboys like your beer."

"Well, I've got to get back," he started to say but she interrupted him.

"No, stay a few minutes. I know it's not far, but I'll drive you back to the bunkhouse. If Rip complains, I'll remind him that I'm family and technically one of the bosses."

Ryan settled back, "I think I'll take that beer then if you don't mind."

"Coming up," she said and for the first time, he got a look at just how pregnant she was.

"Whoa girl, should you even be on your feet?" he asked.

Coralee gave him her hundred-watt smile, "Not to worry, I'd be riding if the doctor would give me the okay, but he wants me to be careful. I'll be right back."

She disappeared into the house for a moment, then returned. "I brought you a yellow jacket, I'm not sure if you prefer a can or bottle." She handed him the beer, then sat down and took a sip of her lemonade.

He popped the top of the can, then took a swig, "Ah, that's good, nothing like a cold beer." He was silent for a moment, then asked, "How's your sister doing?"

Ah, she thought, I think I get it. "Do you want the truth?" He hesitated for a moment, then nodded. "Well, to be honest, she's not doing very well. Mom and Dad pretty much sent her to stay with Travis and me for a while to see if a change of scenery would help. She's going to spend a month after I have the baby and get back on my feet. Travis is taking her on the road and having her compete with my horses since I can't. She isn't as good as me and she's going to go up against some stiff competition. She may not win but I think it'll be good for her."

"So she's not doing too good," Ryan seemed not to have heard her talk about the horses.

"No, she's not, Ryan," Coralee said, "She's a pretty sad girl. The blowup with you, the collapse of that hasty mistake of a marriage, she hasn't been doing well, and I worry about her. Going on the road is going to be the best thing for her." She paused and looked at him, "Ryan, neither one of you is perfect, but when things were good the two of you seemed to be made for each other. Then, when you hit a rough patch, you ran instead of working it out."