𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄, 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝟏𝟖𝟏𝟐

THE BEGINNING OF A STORY, THE BEGINNING OF A LOVE.

"Elaine! Restore my bonnet at this very moment! Mamma! Mamma! She has run away with my bonnet!" exclaimed Rosemary, while their mother sat in distress and their father engrossed in the newspaper. "You shall not capture me! Na, na, na, na!" Elaine teased, sticking out her tongue as she escaped with the bonnet. "Oh! Rosemary, cease this quarrel with Elaine! This Christmas, I fear you shall only bring me sorrow! Oh, Mr. Grimaldi! Instruct your daughters to cease troubling me!" Ms. Grimaldi lamented.

"Rosemary, Elaine, cease your bickering this instant. I shall not tolerate such discord. Proceed forthwith. Elaine, return it at once. Otherwise, I shall not deign to host the forthcoming militia ball," he uttered. "Oh, Papa! I implore you, you must!" Rosemary pleaded. He arched an eyebrow towards Elaine, silently urging her to promptly return the item. "Ugh! Very well! I shall forever be bereft of a bonnet! I shall never appear pleasing to the militia!" Elaine wailed, relinquishing the bonnet as she fled, tears streaming down her face.

Emma, the eldest daughter, emerged from her chamber, adorned in a delicate gown of pale pink. She was perplexed as she observed Elaine, her younger sister, rushing past in a state of distress. Meanwhile, Peggy, Emma's dearest sister, entered the manor and removed her bonnet. "Where is my beloved Emma, Peggy?" Ms. Grimaldi pleaded, her voice filled with desperation. The sisters exchanged knowing smiles before responding in perfect harmony, "We are on our way, dear mother." With synchronized steps, they made their way towards the inviting sitting room.

"Oh! My dearest Emma! As beautiful as ever!" exclaimed Ms. Grimaldi, bestowing a tender kiss upon her daughter's cheek. "Oh! Mr. Grimaldi! Will you not hasten to find a suitable match for our beloved daughter?" Ms. Grimaldi lamented, her two daughters exchanging meaningful glances with their father. "I do not believe so. They shall remain unwed and attend to my odorous feet," he playfully jested, eliciting laughter from the two sisters. "Oh! You are truly insufferable!" Ms. Grimaldi exclaimed, shielding her face with her delicate handkerchief.

"Oh, dear mother, please do not weep, nor feel ashamed. Father is merely jesting, and I would not wish to attend to his feet," Peggy playfully retorted. "To me, it appears rather lacking in amusement!" Ms. Grimaldi expressed her discontent. "Oh, Ms. Grimaldi, behold, two new affluent and comely gentlemen have taken up residence in our town. They go by the names of Mr. Salisbury and, supposedly, his dear friend, Lord Dennings," Mr. Grimaldi announced, prompting Ms. Grimaldi to hastily retrieve the newspaper.

"Oh, this shall be most advantageous for our Emma and Peggy!" they exclaimed, just as Rosemary and Elaine reentered the room. "Pray tell, what is the cause for such delight, mother?" inquired Elaine. "Two new handsome and wealthy gentlemen have graced our town!" Ms. Grimaldi revealed. "Are they part of the militia?" Rosemary inquired, twirling a lock of her hair. "No," replied Ms. Grimaldi. Their smiles faded into disinterest. "No, no! I shall not entertain the thought of marrying either of them, then," Rosemary declared, crossing her arms.

"I do not believe it would be wise for you to enter into matrimony at such a tender age, my dear Rosemary," Peggy remarked. "I dare say Lord Dennings may possess a charming disposition," Emma mused, a contented smile gracing her countenance as she deftly wove her needlework. "And perchance, he may find favor in you, my dear Emma!" Ms. Grimaldi exclaimed. "You are the fairest amongst your sisters, and possess a heart of great kindness."

"Oh, mother. I have yet to make his acquaintance," Emma replied, her smile tinged with nervousness as she gently shook her head. "Nonsense, Emma. I eagerly anticipate the forthcoming militia ball," Ms. Grimaldi declared.