𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄, 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄 𝐉𝐀𝐍𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐘 𝟏𝟖𝟏𝟑

"Oh, Emma! Pray, read the letter aloud! Without delay!" exclaimed Ms. Grimaldi, as she partook of her morning repast. "Mother, do compose yourself," Peggy reassured her. Emma commenced reading the missive.

"Miss Emma Grimaldi,

I would be most delighted if you would grace my manor with your presence for breakfast, luncheon, and supper. Or, if you so desire, an entire week.

It shall be a joyous occasion, as my sisters shall also be in attendance, along with Mr. Salisbury.

Yours sincerely, Lord Dennings."

Peggy's countenance turned sour upon hearing the mention of Mr. Salisbury. "Oh, Emma! You must accept!" Ms. Grimaldi implored. "Indeed! Lord Dennings clearly wishes for you to become his wife!" Peggy teased with a touch of sarcasm, causing her mother to roll her eyes. "Oh, Peggy. It is too early for such notions," Emma chuckled. "However, I shall accept his invitation and stay with him for a full week. Peggy, I beseech you to accompany me." Emma nodded in agreement. "Certainly, I am not oblivious," Peggy replied. They concluded their breakfast and commenced with their preparations.

The carriage ride to Lord Dennings' manor was pleasant, with lush greenery surrounding them and the occasional glimpse of wildlife. Upon arrival, they were greeted by Lord Dennings and his sisters, who were delighted to meet Emma. As for Mr. Salisbury, he bowed to Peggy. She curtsied, her face displeasing. He softened his gaze at the sight of Peggy, as if he was falling in love.

The breakfast was sumptuous, and the company was lively. Lord Dennings and Emma shared stories about their past exploits, while Peggy and his sisters engaged in polite conversation. Mr. Salisbury, however, seemed to be more focused on Peggy, often admiring Peggy, looking away when she looked back at him.

One day, during a picnic lunch by the lake, Lord Dennings suggested a game of croquet. Everyone agreed, and they spent the afternoon enjoying the sport. Peggy, being quite adept at croquet, won several rounds, much to the amusement of everyone present. As the day progressed, Mr. Salisbury found himself admiring Peggy more and more.

That eve, Peggy and Emma excused them to their bedchamber. Mr. Salisbury's eyes saddened at Peggy's leave. In their bedchamber, Peggy undid her hair, putting it down, as she wore her night-gown. Lord Dennings knocked on the door and entered. "I bid you a goodnight," He said kindly to both of them. "Thank you," Emma said, admiring Lord Dennings as he admired her. He shut the door.

Peggy and Emma settled into their beds, the moonlight streaming in through the windows, casting a soft glow upon their faces. The silence stretched on for a moment before Peggy spoke. "You must be rather fond of him, Emma."

Emma turned her head to face Peggy, a soft smile playing on her lips as she tried to deny it. But Peggy could see through her lies, as they laughed. "Oh, he is everything a young man should be, Lord Dennings, handsome, kind and caring." Emma said, smiling.

"But, Peggy, tell me honestly, what do you think of Mr. Salisbury?" Emma asked her sister, watching her carefully.

"I think he is handsome, but most rude. He seemed displeased with me from the beginning. But now, he just stares at me creepily." Peggy said.

"I suppose that is creepy. But, I think he may like you," Emma said.

"That's preposterous! Why would he like me?" Peggy asked, her voice tinged with disbelief. "He barely speaks to me."

Emma laughed lightly. "Oh, Peggy. I suppose that is true. Well, goodnight now." Emma said, as she blew out the candle. "Goodnight, Emma." Peggy said, blowing out her candle.

The next day, the sisters went for a walk in the gardens. They were admiring the flowers. Mr. Salisbury admired Peggy from the window, smiling to himself, watching as she laughed.

Peggy looked in his direction and saw as he turned and walked away. She ignored it.

The next day, Lord Dennings suggested they all go on a boating trip along the river. Everyone was pleased. Lord Dennings took Emma, and his sister with his sister. Peggy was stuck with Mr. Salisbury. He offered his hand as she took it and entered onto the boat beside him, displeased..

He admired her, when she wasn't looking. But Peggy could feel his gaze. "The weather is nice, Miss Peggy," He said, trying to start a conversation. "Oh, yes. Indeed," Peggy said, her tone aloof as she admired the sunny sky.

They continued to boat down the river. Peggy felt Mr. Salisbury's gaze upon her once more. She looked at him, irritation flashing in her eyes. He quickly looked away, blushing. She was confused why he always looked at her.

As they continued down the river, they stopped at a small island for a picnic. The sisters giggled as they spread out a blanket, while the men set up a small bonfire. Peggy sat down next to Emma, laughing as she tried to ignore Mr. Salisbury. He prepared the bonfire, but kept stealing admiring glances at Peggy. Peggy finally looked up at Mr. Salisbury, and he didn't turn his gaze. He kept admiring her. She smiled slightly, then looked away.