𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄, 𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝟏𝟖𝟏𝟑

Peggy donned her bonnet and light green gown as she strolled through the gardens alongside Emma. As they meandered, Mr. Salisbury approached them. Emma curtsied gracefully and soon excused herself, leaving Peggy and Mr. Salisbury alone.

"Mr. Salisbury," Peggy greeted, curtsying in return.

"Madam, I must address you by your full name," he replied softly.

"My name is Margaret," Peggy revealed. "But my loved ones call me Peggy, as you are aware."

"Miss Margaret Grimaldi," he began, genuflecting before her. "I would be honored if you would consent to become my wife. I have adored you since the first ball where our paths crossed, and my affection for you has only grown as you graced this manor with your presence." His words were sincere and tender.

Peggy's eyes softened, touched by his declaration. "Mr. Salisbury, I had believed you to be displeased with me," she confessed, her voice gentle.

He shook his head, dispelling any doubts. "Please excuse me," Peggy requested, her surprise overwhelming her. She walked away, leaving him standing there. He watched her depart, a sense of sadness washing over him. Had she rejected his proposal? Or did she simply need time to consider his offer?

The last night, during supper, Emma and Peggy entered in simple gowns, as they curtsied. Mr. Salisbury bowed, but did not stare at Peggy a lot. He wanted to give her space. But he was still hurt.

Peggy found herself in a state of perplexity. She had grown accustomed to his intense gazes. Emma, on the other hand, sat beside Lord Dennings, engaging in flirtatious banter. Peggy, however, never once glanced up at Mr. Salisbury. As they retired to their bedchamber, they continued their intricate needlework. "Why do you think Mr. Salisbury keeps his distance, Peggy?" Emma inquired, her curiosity piqued. "Oh, it is of no consequence," Peggy fibbed. "Please, do not deceive me," Emma insisted. "He has proposed to me, and I have yet to give him an answer. I am at a loss for words and actions." Peggy confessed. Emma's eyes widened in astonishment. "What? And you did not inform me? Indeed, Peggy, you ought to accept his proposal! He possesses both handsomeness and wealth, and it is evident that he adores you! What more could one possibly desire?"

"I could not desire anything further. However, I am plagued by doubts. What if it is all a jest? I shall be condemned to a life of spinsterhood, and my mother shall be left despondent," Peggy expressed.

"Oh, Peggy. You must not dwell on such thoughts," Emma consoled her.

"I assure you, Emma, I am not indulging in such overthinking," Peggy replied, her laughter tinged with nervousness.

The following morning, Peggy strolled towards the awaiting carriage accompanied by Emma. Lord Dennings graciously assisted them aboard, while they bid their farewells. Lord Salisbury, with a heavy heart, bowed in parting and sorrowfully observed Peggy's departure.

"Well, Peggy," Emma inquired, her voice filled with concern. "What course of action do you intend to pursue?" Emma endeavored to offer her support to her dear friend.

"Please, do not allow me to worry," Peggy responded, her voice tinged with anxiety. Together, they made their way back to their humble abode, where their loving parents and sisters eagerly awaited their return.

"Oh, Emma! Have you secured an engagement yet?" Peggy's curiosity got the better of her as she posed the question to her friend.

"No, mother," Emma replied, her laughter dancing in the air, gently teasing her dear mother. Peggy gracefully curtsied to her parents and silently entered the grand manor.

"Is my beloved Peggy in good health?" Mr. Grimaldi inquired, his voice filled with paternal concern.

"She is unwell, but I shall attend to her, Father," Emma assured him, her voice laced with respect as she curtsied and followed Peggy up the grand staircase.

Once inside Peggy's chamber, Emma closed the door softly and took a seat upon the bed.

"Peggy, my dear, you must disclose the truth to him. Keeping him in the dark is unjust to both of you," Emma implored, her voice filled with sincerity.

"Emma, you cannot comprehend the weight of my distress," Peggy confided in her loyal friend.

"But indeed, dear Peggy, I am well acquainted with your character. I am fully aware of your capability to make a prudent decision. Moreover, I am convinced that Mr. Salisbury is a gentleman of great virtue. He shall comprehend if you require some time to ponder. However, it is imperative to acknowledge that he shall not remain in a state of perpetual waiting." Emma expressed.

"Kindly pass me the paper, quill, and ink," Peggy requested.

Emma promptly retrieved the desired items and arranged them upon Peggy's writing desk. Peggy, taking a deep breath, delicately dipped the quill into the inkpot, commencing her writing endeavor. Although her hand trembled, her words flowed with remarkable ease. She eloquently conveyed her sentiments towards Lord Salisbury, her apprehensions and uncertainties, as well as her aspirations for the days to come. With utmost sincerity, she poured her heart onto the parchment, baring her innermost musings and emotions. It was a testament to her soul.

"My dearest Lord Salisbury,

I humbly beg your forgiveness for my abrupt departure from your delightful gardens.

My heart was consumed by a whirlwind of emotions, and alas, I misconstrued the circumstances.

I beseech you to pardon my ill-mannered conduct, and I fervently hope that you shall grant me the privilege of returning to your esteemed manor in the near future.

With utmost sincerity, I pour forth my sentiments upon this missive, and I extend my well wishes for a pleasant morning, afternoon, or evening.

Yours faithfully,

Miss Margaret Grimaldi."

Peggy meticulously rolled the parchment, securing it with a delicate ribbon. She inhaled deeply, then extended it to the maid. "Would you kindly deliver this on my behalf?"

"Certainly, Miss Peggy." The maid nodded briskly and swiftly departed the chamber.

Peggy sank into a chair, her heart pounding with anticipation. Uncertainty loomed over her. Would Lord Salisbury graciously accept her apology? Or would he be incensed by her misinterpretation? Emma, a steadfast presence, sat beside her, providing solace in silence.