Chapter 74 - The Glasshopper (Part 3)

"I'm not going to be in that part of the city. If Tanya leaves, she might be. You're no match for her, Damien. Trust me. A little extra information isn't worth the danger. Still, let me know if she leaves. I'll keep track of her from afar."

Damien scowled mutinously.

'This is a problem,' she thought to herself. 'I'm going to have to come up with better arguments and excuses if I want to keep working with him while still keeping him in the dark. He's too curious—too nosy—to just be a good little soldier and follow instructions.' She at least had the comfort of knowing that if he tried to follow her in any way except mundane tailing—if he tried to scry for her—she would know and be able to counteract it. Still, she needed to be careful with him and prepare in case his gullibility wore off. 'I should deal with this as soon as possible, before it becomes even more hasslesome.'

"Damien," she said, trying to seem compassionate rather than irritated. "Do you remember your vow?"

The scowl slipped away and he straightened. "Of course. I vowed my silence, to keep our secret, knowing when to speak and when to remain quiet. I vowed my loyalty, to support us and our efforts faithfully and fully, with true heart and steady hand. I vowed my resolve, to persevere through hardships and the wear of time, exerting myself to fulfill the cause. Freedom, and enlightenment. I—" He swallowed. "I saw beyond the edge of the sky."

He said the words seriously, almost reverently, but all Sebastien could think, hearing them recited with surprisingly perfect recall, was, 'I can't believe I came up with something so cheesy. It's like something out of a cheap adventure novel.'

"How long has it been since you stood before the stars and made that vow, and you're already forgetting?"

"I—I'm not forgetting! I just—I want to help!"

"You're not ready," she said softly. "And you're not needed, either. There are other people who are more prepared and able to deal with dangerous situations outside the University. You don't need to know about those people. In fact, it's best that you don't. This world can be darker than you imagine, Damien." She looked away, her fingers pressing a little too hard against the wooden arms of her chair.

"It takes time, and a lot of it, to prove your strength, your dedication, and your competence," she continued. "I hope you don't prove me wrong about you. I told you this would be boring. It's not a story. There is no glory to be had. You and your job are important, but you are not entitled to more. If we feel that you are undermining the integrity of our mission because of greed, petulance, or impatience, you will be removed."

He was staring at her with too-wide eyes.

She sighed. "That was not a threat. Trust me, Damien. If you are needed, you will be called upon. Until then, please be content to play your part. It may not be glamorous, but perhaps that's because you don't understand its importance."

The agitation had gone from Damien's shoulders and his cheeks were slightly pink. "I'm sorry," he murmured. "I won't jeopardize the mission. I've come to my senses." He fiddled with his collar self-consciously. "I guess I was acting somewhat like a Petunia, right?"

Sebastien stared at him blankly for a couple of seconds, then realized he was talking about the character of Aberford Thorndyke's niece. In several stories, the headstrong girl jumped into dangerous situations beyond her ability to handle and only caused more trouble for the other characters who then had to rescue her—at danger to themselves or the greater goal. "Well, at least you're not Investigator Amherst."

Damien rolled his eyes so hard his head lolled back. "Give me a stunner to the skull if I ever act like him."

Having gotten her way, and thus in a more accommodating mood than usual, Sebastien slouched to the side. She took an invisible pipe out of her mouth, affected an extra-deep voice, and said, "Amherst, you do an absolutely fantastic impression of a gorilla whose mother dropped it from the tree as an infant one too many times."

Damien's mouth dropped open. "Radiant Maiden, was that a Thorndyke impression? Did you just make that line up on the spot? It was perfect! Do another. Another!" He leaned forward, so eager Sebastien thought he might grab and try to literally shake the words out of her.

She slipped her watch out of her vest pocket, making a fake expression of surprise. "Oh, is that the time? I really must be leaving. Sorry, ta ta, goodbye." She got up and hurried from the room with a stride that was only just below a jog.