Chapter 4| Dig It

Tara's P.O.V

            I groaned hearing some alarm go off loudly. I stretched underneath my tiny coverage before drawing the blanket back. The other's were slowly trudging out of bed, trying to wake themselves up. I begrudgingly followed their lead and slowly sat up from the bed. I tried not reacting much as they started changing, feeling my face heat as I quickly made my bed and grabbed my clothes and boots before leaving the tent.

"Hey, what's wrong? Too good to get dressed with the rest of us?!"

"Hey, we don't mind!" I ignored their jokes and continued for the restroom, the bathroom traffic very much alive here as it is in the outside world. I exited, the tent lingering outside before following along the trail of boys once they spotted me. I could only assume this meant that I was to follow too, obviously doing so.

"Shovels on the left, tortillas on the right! Let's go!" Mr Pendanski yelled out, it wasn't till then I noticed just how dark it was outside, but here he was chirping like the morning birds back home.

           I looked around seeing the guys get some slimy looking tortillas and began munching on it like it wasn't the messiest looking thing in the world. I shrugged it off and started walking over before getting one myself. Actually edible. I finished it off after a bit and walked over to a line where shovels were being handed out.

"Let's go! Come on, Magnet

"Let's go! Come on, Magnet. Open them peepers! This ain't no dreamland, this is reality." Mr Sir yells out as he tries to use his voice to wake up any others who were looking a little too sluggish for his liking.

           I walked up to the line and waited like the rest of them. Once given a shovel I slung it over my shoulders, knowing the others had learned very quickly to be cautious while walking around me when carrying such a weapon. I hummed as I followed the mass to our unknown destination, the sun slowly peeking up from over the horizon. I looked to my left just as Mr Sir started walking up beside me as we made our way to an open area, other tents slipping off into other directions along the way.

"Alright, like I've said before, this ain't no girls scout camp. No ones gonna babysit you. I'm sure you remember, the longer you take to dig the longer you're out here. Not that I'm sure you'll be out here long. If you find anything interesting, you better be tellin' me or Pendanski. If the Warden likes what you find you get the rest of the day off." He seemed to warn more than he did explain.

"And, uh, what is it exactly I'm supposed to be looking for?" I asked questionably.

"You're not supposed to be looking for anything. You're supposed to be out here building character. You take a bad boy, or in your case girl, make 'em dig holes all day in the hot sun and it turns them into a good boy. That's our philosophy around here at Camp Green Lake." He explained thoughtlessly. I stared at him incredulously, making no sense of it whatsoever. I shook my head in disbelief as the others tried to keep their sniggers quiet.