Chapter 14

"What are you doing here? What do you want?" Czar asked again, but this time, in a much rougher manner.

I glanced back at him for a moment. He was towering behind me with a grim expression etched on his face. Diretso lang din ang tingin niya sa pinsan niya kahit pa may kasama ito.

"Relax, couz. I'm... or we are... not here for you," David replied calmly. "I just came from Emma's café. I saw this cake and thought I'll bring it for you, Amanda. For your birthday!"

David held out the box in front of me again. My eyes went to it before I looked at Emma. Hindi siya nakayuko pero hindi niya rin naman sinasalubong ang tingin ng kahit sino. She got dragged into this again, for sure. No doubt to that.

I sighed and looked at David. I did not bother to hide my annoyance. His pettiness was really something else.

"Thanks. But you didn't have to," I said as I reached out to accept the box of cake. "My birthday's not until early next week. It seems like you got the invitation early."

"Well then, consider that as an early birthday present too. I'll get you something grander for your birthday. Pero imbitado ba ako kung sakali? At si Emma?"

"There will be no party," I stated casually. Gumalaw din ako saglit para ipasa ang box kay Czar na wala ring nagawa kundi tanggapin iyon.

"Oh, that's too bad–"

"Not really," Czar said sarcastically. "My wife and I have different plans for her birthday. In fact, we're talking about it right now. Nakakaistorbo ka."

"Now, don't be rude, cousin. Kasama ko rin si Emma. Won't you even invite us inside? Even just for a bit?"

Czar sighed heavily behind me. Kahit ako ay naiirita na rin. I just couldn't tell them to go away just like that.

"David, let's just go. Tutal ay naibigay na rin naman natin kay... kay Ma'am Amanda ang cake." It was Emma who spoke this time. Like the last times we have interacted, she tried to be casual with it.

"Thanks. I will try it later," pormal na wika ko.

Emma nodded. Nagpabalik-balik naman ang tingin ni David sa amin na para bang nanonood siya ng nakakatuwang palabas. His sly, evil smirk just wouldn't leave his face.

"Mukhang ayos naman kayong dalawa. Then, you wouldn't mind if we come inside. Right, Amanda? Emma would love to take a look inside your house. She's never been here."

What little courteousness I have faded away. I couldn't even fake a smile anymore. The thought of them... of her... inside our house just didn't sit right with me. I didn't even like it that they were here in the first place.

It was not her fault, yes. But I still couldn't help feeling bad. I didn't want to invalidate how I feel and maybe I could do that while not blaming her as well.

Saglit na nagtama ang tingin namin ni Emma. I saw how the panic crossed her eyes before she masked it.

"Maybe some other time, David. We couldn't accommodate you right now," I said frankly.

"You should leave," Czar commanded sternly. "The guards will open the gate for you. They can even drive you with your car out if you couldn't do it yourself."

David clenched his jaw at that. Siguro ay ayaw niyang pinagtatabuyan siya. Maybe he had a lot of that experience being someone who was born out of wedlock.

"Let's go, David. Let's just leave now," Emma said in a weak voice, almost like a whisper.

David turned to her with dark eyes. He shook his head in what seemed like disappointment.