Understanding

The next day, after Yukari came back from classes, I was still depressed about the day before. Yukari spent some time with me to cheer me up but it wasn't working as much as she hoped. She decided to take me out for ice cream.

We walked to the parlor and Yukari sat me down and went to order some ice cream. She didn't ask me what I wanted, but she knew I was going to ask for chocolate anyway. We ate together and talked. I was still sad but I was feeling a lot better.

We walked home in higher spirits and decided to play the arcade game we brought to the barber shop. We were excited to play together since it felt like a long time that we could play our game and be together.

When we returned home, Saori was waiting outside, looking very nervous and fidgeting with her hands. She looked up at us and quickly looked down, but it clearly looked like she wanted to say something. Yukari looked at her as she walked in but didn't say anything. Saori looked up slightly before speaking.

Saori - "Y/N."

I look at Saori and then glance up to see Yukari through the window. Yukari walks away towards the entrance to the house from the barber shop. Then I look back at Saori.

Saori - "Can-can we talk?"

"Saori."

Saori - "Please?"

"You broke my heart, Saori."

Saori, on the brink of tears, looks me in the eyes with an honest face.

Saori - "I know, and I was wrong."

Saori's voice begins to stutter before she begins to cry.

Saori - "Can we please just talk?"

"Okay Saori. We can talk."

Saori smiles slightly and begins wiping away her tears. We walk to the park and Saori tries to hold back her tears as she thinks of what to say.

Saori - "I'm sorry. I know it doesn't mean anything, but I am truly sorry."

I look at Saori with my head low.

Saori - "I should have listened to what you had to say and I shouldn't have gossiped to everyone before understanding the situation."

Saori begins to break down in tears, unable to control them from falling. She begins to stutter uncontrollably, but I could make one sentence out.

Saori - "I'm sorry I ruined our relationship."

I wrap my arms around Saori and pull her to me. Saori looks at me in disbelief.

Saori - "What?"

"You didn't ruin our relationship"

Saori begins to cry harder.

Saori - "Yes, I did! I ruined our relationship, and Yukari's relationship with me, and all my other friends!"

"None of those things are irreparable."

I let go of Saori, and she stops crying. Saori is still sniffling and breathing heavily, but I could tell what she was saying.

Saori - "I want to do something to make it right."

"You don't need to do anything."

Saori - "Yes I do! I insist."

I pause for a moment before realizing something.

"I know what you could do."

Saori - "Anything."

"You can do the Anglerfish Dance in front of me and the tankery team."

Saori freezes.

Saori - "What!?"

"You said anything." I say in a teasing voice.

Saori blushes remembering the embarrassment she felt the first time she did this dance, then looks back up at me with a determined expression.

Saori - "Okay, I'll do it."

I laugh, and Saori nervously laughs with me.

Saori and I spend some time together, not realizing how dark it was getting.

"Hey, I want to show you something."

Saori - "You're not gonna make me climb a tree again are you?"

"No no. Just follow me."