Ten

The soft glow of dawn painted the sky as Taehyung drove through the quiet streets, his car cutting through the early morning stillness. The weight of the truth he had learned about Jeongguk's sacrifices lingered in his thoughts, propelling him toward the one person who had silently shouldered so much for their relationship.

Upon reaching Jeongguk's apartment, Taehyung took a deep breath, the crisp air awakening his senses. He stepped out of the car and approached the front door, the anticipation building with each passing moment. He raised his hand and knocked, the sound echoing through the silent morning.

Seconds later, the door creaked open, revealing a disheveled Jeongguk, his eyes heavy with sleep but no longer clouded by the haze of alcohol. The surprise and confusion etched on Jeongguk's face melted into a mixture of vulnerability and curiosity.

"Taehyung?" Jeongguk's voice held a hint of disbelief.

Taehyung offered a small, sincere smile. "Can we talk?"

Jeongguk nodded, stepping back to allow Taehyung entry. They settled on the couch, a palpable tension filling the room.

"How are you feeling now? Sober?" Taehyung asked.

Jeongguk looked puzzled. "How did you know I was drunk?"

"Jin told me that you passed out a few hours back. I know I should've come to see you much later, but I couldn't wait"

"Oh, right. I was with Jin" Jeongguk muttered. "And I'm okay now. Completely sober. You know I recover quickly"

Taehyung smiled. "Yeah"

"Why are you here? Didn't think we would meeting again after that night..."

"I know what you did, Jeongguk" Taehyung's voice was stern.

Jeongguk raised his eyebrows. "Huh?"

"I know what you did 10 years ago. You applied to the university I applied to, because you wanted to be with me"

Jeongguk's eyes widened. "What? How do you know that?"

"Jin told me"

"Jin? Did I tell him that? Fuck!" Jeongguk cursed.

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

"What difference would it make?" Jeongguk asked. "Would you not have broken up with me 10 years back? I would've told you about it if you didn't. Would you not have broken up with me two days ago, maybe, if you knew?"

Taehyung sighed.

"When you broke up with me back then, I decided to just go to SNU. Because what use is it to go to the same university as you when we are no longer together?" Jeongguk spoke.

"But you should've told me. You just straight up said that you didn't want to do long-distance and I thought you didn't want to make any effort for this relationship" Taehyung said. "Little did I know that you were making a much bigger sacrifice"

"I know I should've told you but..."

"But you were too busy managing everything on your own. Because you were mad at me for choosing a different university without telling you about it so you were too petty to tell me that you were indeed trying to follow me there too"

Jeongguk sighed. "You know how I am"

"And you are still petty. You would take that information to your grave than tell me what you did back then"

Jeongguk let out a small chuckle. "I would"

"And your father threatened to disown you? Jeongguk, I chose that university because it offered the best law program in the country. SNU offers the best Business Studies program in the country. You shouldn't have to choose me over your education. That's why I proposed to do long-distance"