Knightwatch Chapter 1

Roy's knees began to ache and creek from the long trip. He was practically crawling on the dirt path. Finding a stump, he took a much-needed break. "Where's the next city already? The old farmer dude said it wasn't that far. Well, sir, I consider walking three hours, far," Roy whined, surveying his surroundings. All around him were maple trees, sprouting lush green leaves. Luckily for him, one of these trees was casting a huge shadow, blocking out the hot sun. Now thinking about it, the sun was redder than the one back on Earth. However, this is just another small detail of a strange world. Roy's stomach growled forcing his mouth to water. The pain was bearable but the inability to eat his mother's sweet milk toast and mulberry jam was excruciating. The memory of the bread sizzling made him smile a bit. It was like recalling a familiar tune from eons past. Before he could continue his journey down memory lane, a scream pierced through his mind. Without any hesitation, Roy ran straight to the source. There he saw a Red Raven that was the size of a car, attacking a cart. In it was a teenage girl clothed in an elegant lace dress. Next to her, was an older man, wearing a black-looking suit. The cart shook violently, causing its passenger to topple and move.

"This looks like a job for the Knightwatch!" Roy exclaimed. Closing his eyes, his entire body trembled as if it was swelling with power. Red streams of light began to emulate from his entire body. Not before long, he was completely covered. When the light dissipated, he was wearing his superhero suit with a white cape, black suit. and white boots.

By the time he was finished changing, he watched as the Red Raven lifted the entire cart in the sky. His mouth gaping wide, the Knightwatch could not believe the situation. It almost took fifteen seconds before he realized he had to act.

"Wait, wait, wait. Hold on! I am coming! The Knightwatch is coming, which is me!" The superhero rambled using the power flight to reach his destination. The Red Raven was caught by surprise, causing him to throw the cart like a projectile. The Knightwatch barely dodged but now the people are freefalling. "Ah. Whhbkya. I will save you!"

Racing against time, the Knightwatch watched the entire event slowing down. His finger outstretched, he felt the fabric barely touching him. The cart was continuing its descent, as the Red Raven was following close behind. Its mouth opened wide, with his shadow already reaching its prey.

Whoosh! Nothing. The Bird felt only air and nothing more. Unknown to him, the hero has changed both him and the passengers invisible. "Okay. Easy now, easy now," The Knightwatch encouraged himself. Finding a small clearing far away from the Red Raven, the passengers scrambled outside. Ok. As Mom says, seven seconds to make a good impression.

"Hello, Good people. I am The Knightwatch. The number one hero of Phoenix City!" He exclaimed proudly, showing off some of his signature poses. Initially, the two of them were weirded out by his presence. But then the girl began to laugh hysterically.

"Well, that's not the usual reaction I receive. But better than people throwing rotten fruits at you," Roy said with a huge grin.

"Hahahaha. Sorry. I just can't believe we were rescued by such a weirdo," she said, barely holding her stomach.

"Hey I am a super weirdo," the Knightwatch tried to defend himself

"Sorry, Superweirdo," the girl continued to laugh.

"Wait, that is not what I mean-"

"ROOOOOOAAAAR"

"That's not good. Alright, good people, get to safety and I will deal with this beast." In a flash, the superhero was gone. The supposed father and daughter were enticed to see how the fight went down. However, the two decided it would be best to travel as fast as they could to safety. Quickly gathering their belongings, the two could hear the fight. The trees and ground quaked, most likely due to the two powerful beings.

What in the world was that guy? No one in the army core would be crazy to take on such a monster, the teenage girl thought as she was putting the last of the belongings in the cart. Though everything was gathered, their horse died in the conflict. The father and daughter tried their best to push the cart. Nevertheless, their progress was slow, almost to a crawl.

After hours of pushing and shoving a young boy met them on their way.

The girl noted the boy had shaggy light brown hair. His red coat reminded her of the different adventures that would pass by her hometown.

"Hello, you two. Do you need help?" he said with concern.

"Yes, lad. We were attacked by a Red Raven. Nasty things," The father explained. Looking over his cart, the visible cuts and cracks gave credibility to his story. "Also, our horse was killed because of the attack."

"Well Mr. Sir, I can help with that," the boy excitedly helped.

The two men worked together pushing the cart with the father in the front and the young man in the back.

"So tell me, lad, where do you hail from?" the man's voice was deep but had a warmth underneath it.

"Oh umm. Somewhere far. Far from the North."

" I see." The father said.

"What are you doing out here," This time the teenage girl chimed in

"Well, I uh was traveling to the nearest city," The boy explained.

"Did you see any strange people on your way?"

"No not really," the boy said sheepishly, trying to avoid eye contact. "Why do you ask?"

"We were rescued by a Superweirdo," the girl innocently replied.

"How can you call the person who saved you a weirdo," the boy blurted out before hiding away. "I mean do you know who he is? His name?"

"Don't remember. Nightcreeper something-"

"Knightcr-wl-r." the boy mumbled.

"Did you say something?" the girl asked more curiously than irritated. 

"No." the boy quickly deflected the question. 

"Well, that strange man, did save me. So when we see him I will thank him properly," the girl stated with a bright smile. "Anyways enough about him, what about you? I don't believe you gave us your name."

"The name's Roy,"

"Nice to meet you, Roy. I am Courtney."