Chapter 10 Fire Side Chat

Genevieve sat at the base of the tree, hidden in the forest, for hours on end. Her tears would stop, but then begin again only minutes later. Once she was finally able to collect herself she began the walk back to camp.

The sun was setting and darkness was quickly sweeping across the forest. She was lucky she didn't venture too far from camp, or else she likely would have found herself lost as Alice had warned.

When Genevieve entered camp, there was six figures circled around the fire pit. Alice was the first of them to spot her. They made quick eye contact before Alice waved her over yelling, "Perfect, you're just in time for dinner!"

Genevieve had no real interest in being in anyone's company but the emptiness of her stomach could no longer be ignored. It had been over a day since she had eaten a meal. She slowly walked toward the fire pit. She analyzed the six as she walked closer.

Alice she already knew, and she was obviously already acquainted with Ohamed- though he looked different in the fire's light. She hadn't been able to get a good glimpse of him on the horse, and was busy passing out in their later conversation. He had long brunette hair, with a matching beard and mustache and a peircing in his left eyebrow. Similar to Alice, he had beads and cloth woven into his hair and beard. He appeared to be in his late thirties or forties, presumably human.

Beside him sat a women with tattoos scattered across her arms, neck and face. She had pointed elven ears, with dirty blonde hair that reach her mid-chest. She had a long face with wide eyes, an elven beauty hidden beneath dirt and filth.

A dwarf sat beside her, chewing loudly with his mouth open. A black beard and mustache, with a large receding hair line on the top of his head. He wore an eyeglass on his forehead, and a belt with many different sized daggers circled around his waist. He appeared to be the oldest of the group, possibly in his 60s.

Opposite of him sat Alice, with two others at her sides. On Alices left sat another women, also appearing to be human. She appeared to be very fit, with toned arms. Shoulder length pink hair framed her face. She had a young face, likely in her late twenties or early thirties.

A male elf sat on Alice's right. He had long hair, that appeared a shade of light blue in the fire's light (but she would have to re-examine it in the morning to be sure). He had three golden rings as piercing in each ear and a long ugly scare across his left cheek. Even the ugly scar could not hide his beauty though. It was nearly impossible to ever determine an elf's true age but he looked young.

Genevieve was taken out of her thoughts as Ohamed said, "Come on, get over here and eat. No need to act shy now princess, I've already told them of the profanities you shouted at me as I rescued you from certain death". He emphasized the word rescued as he gave her a harsh look, clearly wanting more thanks than he had received.

Genevieve shot him a dry look, "Maybe if you had properly introduced yourself instead of manhandling me on a horse and ignoring my every word, I would not have feel the need to resort to such profanities. Possibly would have prevented some bruises as well"

The dwarf with the black beard and dwindling hair nearly choked on his ale in a burst of laughter. After a moment he caught his breath and rose from his seat, still chuckling as he extended a hand in Genevieve's direction. "Oye now lil' miss I already really like you. My name is Archibald and I am very please to make your acquaintance". Genevieve stared at the extended hand for a long moment before finally extending her own to shake it.

Ohamed interrupted the introductions to say "You'd like her a heck of a lot less if she'd been on the back of your horse, hitting and kicking you!"

Before Genevieve had the chance to respond, the tattooed elven women had risen from her seat, quickly advancing towards Genevieve. Clearly having no sense of personal space, she got within inches of Genevieve's face before saying "And I am Agnes". As quickly as she entered Genevieve's space she left it, returning to her seat. Genevieve didn't know what to say, staring at Agnes with an alarmed look on her face.

"Oh don't mind her. Agnes is just our resident oddity. She can't talk to someone unless she's close enough to feel their breath on her face. Always entering people's space. We love her all the same though" said the human women with pink hair in a friendly tone. She didn't raise from her seat on the log, simply putting a hand in the air to wave. "I'm Leona".

"And I'm Bartholomew." Said the elf with the long hair in a loud voice, never meeting her eyes- only staring at the fire.

Genevieve stared at them all for perhaps a second too long before saying, "Well its nice to meet you all I suppose".

They settled into an uncomfortable silence, none knowing what to say next. All just looking around the fire or staring awkwardly at their food.

Ohamed finally stood, handing Genevieve a plate of food. "Well I suppose we mind as well just address it. Alice told us she told you of our past and our blood oath to your family."

Genevieve mumbled a quiet thanks as she accepted the food. She took a bite before saying, "It was mentioned briefly but we hardly got into much detail about it." She hoped this would invite them to give any further details.

Alice spoke up, "Well its hardly my fault the conversation was brief, you rushed out of that tent like it was on fire." She paused for a moment before continuing, "There's so much to tell, I think it might be easier if you just ask the specific questions you wish to know the answers to"

After giving it a few moments of thought she said, "You're sure, like absolutely positive, that my whole family is dead? Have any of you actually been able to confirm it?"

Ohamed spoke up, "I saw your brother's bodies myself, a terrible sight. Artemis displayed the bodies near the entrance of the castle. After we arrived back at camp I had Archibald go back to look for any signs of your parents." He fell silent.

Genevieve turned and looked at Archibald expectantly. He looked at her with a sad look in his eyes, "I rode as quickly as I could back towards the castle. When I got there your parents bodies and Conrad's had been hung beside your brothers. They are all dead, there's no question about it."

Geneieve looked at the fire for several long silent minutes, feeling any last grains of hope slip away. When she spoke again she kept her eyes on the fire, "So what am I doing here?"

Alice spoke up, "As I told you princess, we have sworn a blood oath to protect you. You can trust us. We are here because we are trying to gather ourselves and get a grasp on the situation".

Geneieve quickly brought her eyes up to meet Alice and angrily snapped, "You told me I could trust you because of the blood oath. But the whole reason you needed to swear that blood oath is because you were in prison. How am I meant to trust you when the only thing I really know about you is that you are a criminal"

"I told you all you needed to do was ask, if you truly wish to know about each of us, we will tell you. I just ask that you hear our full stories, not just the stories of the crimes that landed us in prison.

Genevieve simply nodded and waited for them to begin.