CHAPTER 12 THE TRUTH

Ruby lay down on her not so comfortable bed, closed her eyed and within a minute dozed off to sleep. About thirty minutes passed and she heard a voice which said, "You are searching for the truth... I will tell you the truth... come with me Ruby... follow my voice." Ruby quietly followed the voice which led her to a mini-garden at the back of the house. She saw a small girl of about seven or eight years of age planting a beautiful white flower which Ruby recognized from her past dream... it was a white lily and the girl looked very happy, behind her stood an elderly man in his late twenty's whom she addressed as "Dad" and said, "thank you, dad for this wonderful gift, I will always cherish this flower and will plant it every season... it will remind me of you and this house."

The voice which she followed suddenly spoke, "you know Ruby, this flower is known as Madonna Lily and was gifted to me by my dad as my first birthday gift and I always cherished this flower. My father told me that this lily stood for rebirth, peace and purity and I always wanted to bring this flower with me... alas, it was not possible.

My dad told me, "Jyoti, there will be a day and a very special person who will definitely bring you this flower and will help you."

The voice paused for a moment and Ruby recognized the voice as soon as she heard the name "Jyoti", it was her granny, she came to tell her the truth. Ruby had tears in her eyes as her granny continued, "I grew old with time but always remembered to plant this flower every season and then it all stopped after I got married. I wanted to visit my hometown and bring this flower back with me but it was not in my destiny." The voice stopped and said in a sad tone that it was Ruby who was destined to do so, to fulfill her wish, to bring her the flower and added that only after she receives the flower will she be at peace and requested Ruby to bring her the flower and the voice faded away. Ruby woke up from her dream with tears in her eyes and said, "Now I know the truth granny, I promise you that I will fulfill your wish... I will bring you the flower... Madonna Lily... I will." She wiped her tears and went back to sleep peacefully as she now knew why did she have all those dreams and as to why only she was asked to help.

The next morning, she woke up with a smile on her face, washed herself and went downstairs to narrate the events of the night to her uncle and aunt. Her aunt had already prepared breakfast and the table was set, she looked up to see Ruby coming down and said, "you are up, good morning dear... how was your night, were you able to sleep?" to which Ruby replied, "never better... it was the most wonderful night and also discovered the truth." Her aunt smiled and told her that they will discuss about the same later and that she should have something first. After a hearty breakfast, she along with her uncle and aunt sat down to discuss the events.

Ruby explained all that happened last night, her dream and as to why she was being asked for help. She said, "Granny told me that I was the only one who could help her and who could bring her the flower..." she paused and asked, "where is the flower." Her uncle laughed and replied, "no one planted that flower after your granny moved to a new house but yes she only wants you to help her." Ruby looked at him and he smiled and continued, "it was months before her death, we visited her to check on her health and asked her if there was anything they could help her with and she said that we will not be able to do so even if she told us as the work she wants had to be accomplished her grand-daughter that is you and then mentioned about a flower she wanted to have."

We decided to inform you but she stopped us from doing so and said, "no, do not tell her... let her know her destiny by her own efforts," and so we did not reveal the truth and she waited for you, days and night passed, time flew and she still waited until one day we received the news of her demise but we felt helpless as we still could not reveal anything to you. Many times we felt that she was wrong and that you would never come but who knew... that one day we will be proved wrong and that it was really destined for you to visit here. Her aunt said, "Now, that you know everything..." she paused rummaging through the cupboards and drawers and took out a little packet of seeds and continued, "here take this, these are the seeds of Madonna Lily... go and plant this right next to your granny's grave and remember, once you do so and turn to leave do not... I repeat do not look back again... now go, your destiny awaits you... go and fulfill her last wish."

Ruby took the packetand with tears in her eyes she thanked them for helping her and her unclehanded her the return ticket they already booked. Her uncle said that he willdrop her at the station and wished her good luck and a safe journey. Ruby wentto her room and returned with her luggage, ready for her final journey togranny's grave.