Chapter 7| Finding Fossils

Tara's P.O.V

            Another day of shoveling, the system they had here was quick to become embedded in me. Waking up to the ear pounding alarm, gross honey covered tortillas, shovels.. All of it. Everything had routine here. From dinner time, to when Mr Sir or Pendanski comes in with the truck to refill waters. Matter of fact, there's the truck. Right on time. Question was, who was driving today. 

           I sighed, hopping out of the second whole I started not too long ago and was halfway finished. My water jug found its way to my hand and I drank the leftover warm water as I made my way for the line. I rolled my eyes at the boys as Magnet was shoved out of line as he so often was, Squid taking his place as some of the other boys insult Magnet. I give him a friendly pat as I walk by, making my way into the line. I look at Squid who turns back to me, me daring him to move me from my spot in line. He flattens his lips, obviously not liking that I'm in what I was assuming my designating spot in the line. I wonder what order he was going off of. Was it by what he considered top dogs? Was it whoever has been here the longest? Was it simply by who he liked more? No, X-Ray enforces this rule a lot of the time too, he likes Magnet. 

"Why you gotta be so mean for, man?" Magnet pouts as he trudges to the back of the line while mom starts to fill water jugs.

"It ain't your spot, man." Squid says to Magnet, but I know I was implied. I narrowed my eyes, not entirely pissed but you know, who doesn't like a playful disagreement every so often?

"What about, Jumpy? You just gon' let her cut too? Zig-Zag? She cuttin' you, man." I turned to Magnet in betrayal.

"True but, she is still a lady." Squid sighs with reluctance, handing his water to mom to be filled. I smirk.

"So, you're saying I should go first from now on?" Magnet laughs out as Squid falters, not liking that idea either as it would mean not just him but X-Ray would be moved down the list. Zig-zag can't help but snicker too, watching as Squid tries to find his words.

"You group better find more important things to be worrying about in life than just spots in line. The faster you learn your place in the world, the easier it will be for you to become responsible and functioning adults in society." Pendanski decides to mom us, handing Squid's jug back with slight force. It was clear Pendanski liked to make us feel littier than he was, hell ever smaller than I or even Zero was, always finding the smallest things to turn into some speech to make us feel worse about ourselves than most of us already felt. I refrain from rolling my eyes, holding my jug out begrudgingly as the group falls quiet. No one interested in engaging with mom, knowing it would usually lead to further insults and passive aggressive comments.

           I salute mom off sarcastically as I receive my water, an even bigger fake smile of appreciation noticeable before walking off sharply. I shake my head to myself, drinking some of the new water I had gotten as I see X-Ray staring something down intently, Squid having his eyes set on the target also. I turn back, seeing Stanley making his way for Pendanski, something solid in his hands as he rubs the dirt off the surface of whatever it was. Mom finishes filling Zero's water, handing it over roughly. I narrowed my eyes at this, my walking slowing as I watch the others stare Stanley down.

 I narrowed my eyes at this, my walking slowing as I watch the others stare Stanley down