Chapter 12: Grief For Something I Have

・。・。・。・Y/N・。・。・。・

The house was cold. It didn't smell like home—no scent or feel of anything—and it was completely silent, except for the quiet snores that drifted down the hall from Zeus. I remained curled up on the couch, only showering and eating. The TV was on but all I could focus on was how empty the house was.

Chris hasn't called or texted. The days dragged on, blending into one another. As I traced the patterns on the blanket draped over me, memories of the heated argument replayed in my mind like a haunting film. When he placed that ring on my finger, it made me sick - like something inside my stomach was trying to claw its way out. Chris's absence weighed on me like a heavy cloak, each day stretching into an eternity of solitude. No calls, no texts – his silence became a cruel companion, intensifying my chest pain. Not to mention this overlaying pain in my stomach.

But I couldn't leave the house. It felt like I had nowhere else to go...except back to him. It was either that or I would give up, lose hope, and drift away from life altogether. I stared at my phone.

No new messages. No missed calls, no messages. The lack of contact between us killed me slowly, with every second.

But I knew I was right. The way he yelled at me. The look of pure rage on his face when we fought—like he truly believed I didn't love him anymore purely because I was not prepared to have a kid right now. I know what happened was unfair and unreasonable, but I wasn't prepared to deal with his bullshit. He should know, though. We were together for four years, and I never doubted his intentions and loyalty to me. However, here I am letting him believe I am giving up on us.

A soft sob broke through my lips as I rubbed my eyes harshly. That's how I spent the last month. Just going back and forth - blaming Chris and myself. Alternating between the two of us because I can't decide who to anger.

There was a knock on the door. Zeus, almost immediately, came from down the hall. He stared at me for a moment before sitting by the door. "I don't think it's him, baby," I mumbled, following him. He stayed by the door while I walked towards it, opening it slightly to make sure. A sigh escaped my lips when I saw Quinn standing by the entrance, wearing jeans and a gray hoodie. My brother stood at the door with a smile on his face and some bags of delicious-smelling food. I breathed in.

"Hey," he said softly. I tried to smile but my emotions kept getting the better of me. I moved aside so he could come in. He did, shutting the door behind him as he went into the kitchen. I followed and sat down on the countertop. "How are you?" He asked. I humped my shoulder, trying not to say much, but he was my brother after all. He read me like a book.

"It hasn't been the greatest month of my life," I admitted, taking a water bottle from my bag. "I just want to sleep, but I can't because I have to work, and I don't want to be seen, but I can't because it's my job to be seen," I laughed, "And to be honest, I just want to yell at Chris. Cry to him. Just see him because only he can make me feel better." I paused to take another sip from the bottle. "But, I'm not ready to do any of those things," I added.

Quinn nodded, "It's okay, sis." He smiled sadly at me. I gave him an apologetic glance before receiving a plate. "How's the bar?" I asked.

He shrugged, "Same as always. There has been a slowdown in the crowd, especially given the weather outside, but it's not that bad either. I was thinking about talking to Matt about a promotional event for the bar. Get some new customers in as well as more money."