5

After a couple of years, the Dark Lord's followers increased in number.
More and more wizards were becoming interesting in the cause.
A lot more took the mark.
People from different positions, especially the Ministry and Saint Mangos.
They needed people with authority and healers.

Rigel, all those years, she kept contact with Sandra, and they were meeting quite a few times.
Rigel tried to convince her to follow, and it wasn't a problem she was a muggleborn, Rigel would vouched for her. But Sandra was hesitant at first. In the end, she said yes, but she didn't take the mark. Sandra was just helping when she was called. She prioritized Saint Mangos, and then she would attend the Death Eaters when needed.

The Dark Lord was hesitant as well at first, but he made the exception as Sandra was not just a healer. She had become assistant of the head healer, and she had access to patient files and resources, making her very valuable.

Sandra wasn't quite embracing the ideas and values of the pureblood supermacy, being a muggleborn herself, but she partly agreed for her hate for her muggle parents as well.
That was the only reason she agreed to help.

Rigel continued creating new spells and curses.
It was like her imagination never stopped.
It was amazing how an idea would pop into her head and so easily she could make it real.
She had her own laboratory in the basement.
One room for brewing potions and another for the spells and curses.

It was a cloudy morning of November of 1950, and Rigel flooed inside Borgin and Burkes.
The well-known smell of old things, mold, and human flesh filled her nostrils.
She loved that shop with all its nasty and creepy stuff.
No wonder why the Dark Lord chose to work there.
"Good morning, Mr. Borgin." she greeted the man.
"Good morning, Miss Acanthus.
Out for in search of new things?"

Borgin didn't know the relationship between the Dark Lord and Rigel. They only had let it slip they were friends, and as Borgin had some sympathy for the Dark Lord, he let Rigel come through the fireplace.

"Something like that." she gave him one of her famous charming smiles.

"Tom, your friend is here." Borgin turned and yelled in the void.
Rigel's jaw clenched slightly at the hearing of the Dark Lord's dead name. But she did her best not to show her frustration.
After a couple of minutes, the Dark Lord appeared.
He was wearing his working clothes.
"Good morning, Rig." he greeted her like they were the best of friends.
He saw her frustration in her eyes, and he glared at her in a way to calm her down.
"See you later." she nodded her head.

Before going out, she put on the hood of her cloak. She knew the filth of Knocturne Alley.
She's been quite a few times there for potion ingredients, like today.
She knew what a pretty face like hers would get down there, even when she knew the deadliest of curses.
She walked down the dark alleys looking for the store she wanted.
The owner had known her by now, not by her real name, though.

Rigel passed by an old pub, with some men outside, and she put her hood even more down her head.
Finally, she arrived outside the place.
She opened the door, and the bell rang.
Instantly, a man appeared behind the front desk.
"How can I help you?" his hoarse voice sounded strict.
Rigel took off her hood, and his face changed.
"Miss Venenum." he bowed slightly.
She was one of his regulars over past years, purchasing quite the dark and rare materials for a girl, but she paid good, and he respected those customers.
"Basil." she nodded slightly at the old man.
"What brings you here today?" he asked with some softness in his voice and tried to straighten his unwashed hair.
Rigel approached the counter, resting her arms on it.
"Tentacula, I must say."
"Quite the rare taste you have, Miss.
How many?" he smiled greedily.
"Four would do." she answered sharply, giving the sense of authority.
Basil's smile became even wider. Four leaves of Tentacula were very expensive.
Ten galleons per leaf.
The man disappeared in the back of the store.
Rigel looked around while she waited.
A lot of plants were hanging from the roof, and shelves were covering every inch of walls full of jars with every kind of creature parts.
The place was very dusty and smelly.
After a few moments, the man returned.
"Here." he put in front of her a jar with four Tentacula leaves.
She took it to her hands and inspected it.
"Everything seems all right.
Just one more thing, Basil." she looked at him.
"Two galleons of Unicorn Blood." she looked at him dead in the eyes.
The man eyed her with a flick of fear in the eyes.
"I don't have - "
But before he could finish, Rigel reached the inside of her cloak and left a pouch on the counter. The coins inside made the characteristic sound. There were around fifty galleons.
Basil's eyes widened, and he swallowed hard.
He couldn't resist.
"I'm sure I can do something for you, Miss Venenum." he softened hus voice again before he disappeared in the back of the shop again.