CHAPTER 2

Sometimes I forget how to spell a word, so I change the whole sentence to avoid using it.

Looking at the girl standing in front of the mirror, I feel sorry for myself. How long will I be able to hold myself up? How long will I be to handle the beatings? Will I leave my father once I know that I've had enough? What will I do? Oh god, so much thinking is giving me a headache.

Shaking these thoughts out of my mind I decide to go on with my day and leave the rest for another time. Taking a quick shower I get dressed for school.

School is very hectic, especially for me since I have to go through my daily bullying, which consists of insults, shoves, and sometimes beating. No matter what Tyler(my brother) did people still bullied me, as he wasn't on the top of the social ladder.

Yesterday, my dad was again angry with me, for what reason? I don't know. But the beatings were less. Maybe he is realizing what he has been doing to me for so many years, is not correct. Maybe he is trying to control his anger, and wants to be the loving father he was, once again. Maybe he is finally understanding his mistakes and appreciating my co-operation with him for so long.

"ANNA, GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!"

Or maybe he's not.

I just keep hoping that he'll change one day but I think its time to accept this side of him and deal with it. Closing my eyes and preparing myself for another day I rush downstairs and see him in the kitchen, opening one cupboard after another trying to find food and muttering something quietly. I face palmed myself. I was supposed to go grocery shopping yesterday. Ugh! Why do I keep forgetting these things? Oh god! Now he's going to kill me.

"There is no food in this house" he states angrily and turns around. Upon seeing me, he becomes even angrier.

"What are you doing standing there, huh? Make me something to eat", he orders. I just keep standing there lost in thoughts, when he shouts "NOW". Hearing him speak, I snap back to reality and scurry towards the refrigerator, to find something edible for him to eat.

After preparing breakfast for him and myself with whatever was left in the kitchen, I walk towards his room and knock. The door is slightly ajar and empty. Guessing he's in the bathroom, I quickly place his food and exit his room.

-----

Finishing breakfast, I head for school. Tyler's friend picks him up daily but they don't take me with them. I'm used to it and anyways; some exercise is good for me. During the walk, I take out my earphones, sticking them in my ear and start listening to music to distract myself from the quietness. Looking around I see my surroundings; trees, bushes, houses and people enjoying their life doing their daily routines. It's a great scene to see early in the morning. Very relaxing.

At the entrance of the school, I spot Ashley talking to her other friends. Upon seeing me, she bids them goodbye and rushes towards me. After greeting each other we head towards our locker.

Opening my locker, I start shuffling through it to find my pencil-case when she suddenly speaks up. "So, there's a party this weekend at Dylan's house. You want to come. It will be great." She asks me with a hopeful face.

Closing my locker, I turn towards her with a sigh "You know, I don't like parties. What will I do there anyways? You should go and enjoy yourself. Stop trying to drag me with you everywhere."

"But-" she begins determined to make me agree, but I cut her off saying "No buts, now lets get to class" She huffs, but agrees with me anyways, and starts walking towards the class's direction.