CHAPTER 5

IN GUPTA MANSION 
THE DAY AFTER AARAV'S GRANDFATHER'S BIRTHDAY

AARAV'S POV
My grandfather went back to stay with my aunt after the birthday party in this house. My aunt isn't married and has no children so he stays with her.
Me, Maa, Paa and Kabir were having breakfast. As we sat around the breakfast table, my thoughts were interrupted by my mother broaching the topic of marriage.

Maa started "Aarav, What do you think about a wedding"

"Maa, stop please, I don't wanna marry anyone. I am still young" I replied, hoping to put an end to the topic.

"You are 27. Your dad was 22 when we got married" Mom countered.

"Not my mistake you both couldn't stop your hormones and got pregnant with me" I said

"Shut up, we were planning on getting married anyway. It's just that I got pregnant 1 month before." Mom clarified

Then, out of the blue, Mom dropped another bombshell. "What do you think of Sahana?" she asked, catching me off guard.

The mention of Sahana caught me by surprise, and I paused for a moment, considering my response carefully. I hadn't given much thought to Sahana in a romantic context before.
Sure, we knew each other well, being family friends and all, but the idea of marrying her hadn't crossed my mind. Like I don't even talk to her much. Why would I think of her.

"I... I don't know, Maa," I stammered, struggling to articulate my thoughts. "I mean, Sahana's nice and everything, but... I never really saw her that way." I said

Before I could dwell further on the awkwardness of the conversation, my younger brother, Kabir, said "Bhaiya, yesterday you both looked good sitting near each other,"

This little bitch. I will hurt him bad one day. But for now, I decided to let it slide, not wanting to escalate the tension further at the breakfast table. 

"Aarav, your mom has a point," my father started in his serious tone. 
"You should consider marriage. You're always buried in work, hardly engaging with us properly. Whenever I ask what you're up to, it's always work-related. And you're constantly coming home late," he added, his concern evident in his voice.
I took a moment to absorb my father's words, feeling a pang of guilt for my detached behaviour.

"I understand, Dad," I responded, my tone resigned. "I'll make an effort to be more present and involved but I don't wanna get married" 

 "But Sahana is a very nice person. She's kind and treats everyone with respect," my mom said.

"Maa, I never said she was a bad person. I know she's nice. She's still a kid. Even if she wasn't I would still say no cause she's too nice and I am not exactly a good person. I mean she loves talking, I don't." I said

"That's exactly what you need, a wife who is the exact opposite of you" Kabir added. Oh god Save me, please. Kabir is becoming very annoying.

"No one asked you" I said

"Just giving my opinion" he said.

"Well, keep it to yourself next time," I said.

"Aarav, promise me you will think about it. Please. You know what dada wished for his birthday yesterday" My mom pleaded

I didn't respond. Instead, I quietly left the breakfast table and headed to the garage. I didn't wanna talk about me getting married.
There's nothing wrong with getting married when you find the right person. Like my dad found my mom. My grandfather found my grandmother. Even though she is no more I can see the love in my grandfather's eyes when he speaks of her.

I started the car and drove off to the office, hoping to distract myself from the looming thoughts of marriage and familial expectations.
When I reached the office. I walked inside as Tarush, my assistant read through my schedule.