Chapter 3- The Southern Lights

The Southern Water Tribe is under siege! When Avatar Korra was attacked by a dark spirit, Chief Unalaq was the only one able to stop it.

So, Korra turned her back on Tenzin and chose Unalaq as her new spiritual mentor. Tenzin and his family left for vacation at the Southern Air Temple, while Korra remained in the Water Tribe.

Will she be able to restore balance between humans and spirits? Or will she fail?

Riding on Naga is where we find Korra.

***

Korra's POV

I rode to the camel yak stables on Naga, meeting up with Unalaq. I dismounted from Naga and walked up to my uncle.
"You're early," Unalaq commented.
"What can I say? I'm pumped up to learn that Unalaq spirit fighting," I commented. Unalaq placed his hand on my shoulder.
"I'm not here to teach you to fight spirits, I'm here to help you begin your spiritual training. We're going to one of the most remote places in the world, the long neglected spiritual center of your tribe, the South Pole," Unalaq said.
"You're going to train me at the South Pole?," I asked.
"We will do more than just train. By neglecting the spirits, the people of the South have brought darkness upon themselves, and now it threatens to destroy our tribe. We must set things right. The Southern Water Tribe depends on you," Unalaq explained.
"A dangerous trip to the South Pole? Count me in!," I yelled excitedly.

***

Mako's POV

Korra was saddling up Naga while I helped her pack her supplies.
"I thought you said Bolin was coming?," Korra asked me.
"He said he'd be here, but I can't worry about it. I have to make sure you have everything you need for a safe trip," I spoke. Korra was the Avatar, destined to protect the world.

It was my job to protect her... Someone needed to.
"Thanks, Captain Expedition, but I'll be fine," Korra reassured, smiling softly at me. Tonraq approached us on a snowmobile.

Unalaq's POV

I stopped packing and scowled, approaching my brother.
"Tonraq, what do you want?," I asked.
"I heard you're taking Korra to the South Pole. I'm coming," Tonraq spoke, crossing his arms.
"Absolutely not. You're a distraction to Korra and a hindrance to what needs to be done," I snapped at my brother.
"My daughter is not going without me! She needs someone to watch after her," Tonraq reasoned. Korra and Mako approached us on Naga, Mako had his arms wrapped around Korra's waist.
"Dad, why do you always think you know what's best for me?," Korra asked.
"Because he's misguided. The sad truth is, it's men like your father who have put the Spirit World out of balance. He's ignored my warnings in the past and hasn't learned since," I explained to Korra.
"What happened in the past?," Korra asked.
"It doesn't matter. What matters is the Everstorm," Tonraq answered.
"The Everstorm?," Mako asked.
"It's a massive blizzard that's battered the South Pole for decades. I'm coming, unless you think you can stop me," Tonraq spoke to me. Tonraq and I glared at each other.

Tonraq looked away from me, staring off to his left as Bolin started to yell.

Korra's POV

"Guys! Hey, wait for me!," Bolin yelled. Bolin approached us on a snowmobile with a sidecar attached to it.

Bolin was wearing a new snowsuit. Mako and I shared looks of confusion.
"Check it out, I'm traveling in style! Okay, uh, sorry, still getting used to that throttle," Bolin explained, not at all in control of his snowmobile.
"Uh, where'd you get the ride?," Mako asked Bolin.
"Varrick; he's awesome! He also gave me this fancy snowsuit! It's inflatable, with an internal heater, emergency beacon, and food ration pouches! I mean, if I get lost, I can survive in this thing for like, like a month! Who wants some freeze dried cucmberquats. Nobody? Did I interrupt a conversation?," Bolin asked, pulling out cucmberquats as Pabu emerged from Bolin's suit, eating some of the cucmberquats.
"No, the conversation is over. Dad, come if you want, just don't interfere with my training," I spoke to my dad, riding away from the group. Mako tightened his grip on my waist.