i. battle above the god's eye

BURN THE IRON THRONE

❝you have lived too long, uncle❞

you have lived too long, uncle

✮✮✮

act one,

In the year of 101 AC, shortly after the death of Prince Baelon of house Targaryen, the King had two possible heirs to choose from. He would either choose the eldest son of the most recent Heir whose wife had given him a daughter, or he would name the only child of the first Heir, his own eldest son's daughter. She had been wed to Lord Corlys of house Velaryon another great Valyrian house who ruled mostly with the sea in their veins. She had a son and a daughter.

To Jaehaerys the choice had been clear, he had chosen his own son above his daughter—to the anger of his wife— and he had been chosen over his own niece. Jaehaerys would have chosen a man, without a question, but if he had spoken that choice aloud he knew it could tear apart his House.

Nothing could destroy House Targaryen, but itself.

Thus, the King proclaimed for a Great Council and let the Lords choose who they wish to have as their new sovereign if the time came. Most with any drop of Targaryen blood—and some without—showed up to proclaim for themselves. As eldest of the two, Princess Rhaenys had hoped the Lords chose her, and if not her, perhaps her son. But when she looked to her cousin Prince Viserys who stood besides his wife and heard the rumbling of soldiers marching outside of Harrenhal she knew Prince Daemon had come to support Viserys' claim, and not many would defy Prince Daemon, the Rogue Prince who wielded Dark Sister.

Prince Viserys was chosen, and Prince Daemon was named as his Heir over his own daughter in the hopes his wife would give him a son, one he had dreamt of for so long.

When Queen Aemma passed on 10 some years later after giving birth to a son, who soon followed his mother, Daemon—according to Otto Hightower— had toasted to the Heir of a Day and had been put aside in favour of the King's daughter. In annoyance Daemon sought glory elsewhere and fought alongside Lord Corlys in the Stepstones where they crowned him King of the Narrowsea with a driftwood crown. Daemon would return to King's Landing on and off until his lady wife Rhea Royce passed away after falling from her horse which had caused great injuries and a fever to eventually take her.

Few years after his niece's wedding, he wed Lady Laena, after duelling for her hand against some Braavosi tradesman. Prince Daemon loved Lady Laena, and welcomed twin girls into the world, Baela and Rhaena.

Lady Laena much like Queen Aemma fell victim to childbirth and died few days after their stillborn son. Daemon had not taken another wife after, he had however supported his niece and her sons, whose lineage had been spoken off plenty of times as the children had dark hair much like his cousin Rhaenys. Daemon suggested betrothing Baela to Rhaenyra's Heir, to secure the Iron Throne for herson even further and quieting the soft whispers.