The Battle

Elise had burst into her brothers' tent, Peter waking immediately and drawing his sword. She threw her hands up in front of her, steadying him and Edmund who woke up just as scared.

"It's just me," she whispered reassurances across the tent. "But I come bearing bad news," she admitted sadly.

It didn't take long to explain that Aslan was gone, and they needed to prepare for the Witch's coming. Peter and Edmund had hurried out of bed, just as dawn was breaking. Although he trusted his sister, he felt the need to check for himself, so Peter ventured into Aslan's tent.

Elise felt no offense: she understood how confusing and disorienting it was to get this information at the edge of battle. She was still processing it in her own mind, and she hadn't shared everything that had happened that night with her brothers. That would have to wait until they were safe again.

"She's right," Peter announced to Edmund and Oreius as he left the large tent. "He's gone." His words were strong, but laced with disbelief.

Elise grimly nodded and hugged her elder brother, showing him some support as he walked back over to the table Ed and Oreius stood over; the table covered in maps and battle plans. He leaned on it as though carrying the weight of responsibility now was exhausting,

"Then you'll have to lead us," Edmund spoke up. Elise eyed him, her emotions flipping back and forth between fear and pleased with his new attitude. He had taken what he had gone through and let it help him grow into a greater version of himself. She was only scared that he would dive too deep and get himself hurt.

"Peter, there's an army out there and it's ready to follow you," Edmund tried to convince his brother.

"We all are," Elise spoke up from where she stood just on the outside of the circle, moving in to take a more prominent position at the table. She carried an air of confidence, both in herself and in Peter, one that her brothers had never quite seen before. She understood that this was the only way to make things right in Narnia again, even if it terrified her.

Peter shook his head. "I can't," he doubted.

Edmund looked at Elise, who nodded once back at him. "Aslan believed you could. And so do we," he bolstered.

Peter seemed to gain some of his faith in himself back, as he looked down at the table before them. It only took a minute before he began taking suggestions and giving orders, mapping out their plan of action within a few hours. The next step would be just as difficult, in its own way: getting dressed for war.

Peter and Edmund helped each other dress in their chainmail and armor, remembering their lessons from Oreius on the subject. Elise, however, was alone. She struggled by herself at first, but soon seemed to get the hang of each piece. She pulled on her pants, that she had thankfully been provided with, and then slipped on a dark red lightweight tunic. She put on the lighter version of the chainmail than her brothers had over the top of that, and secured it with a corset-like top that tied in the back. With the help of a mirror, she was able to finish it. She strapped on her steel vambraces after, and joined her brothers back out at the table.

They all admired each other's armor for a moment. Her brothers had similar armor, with golden lions roaring on their chests. Elise felt a little jealous, but was grateful that she had less pieces to put on and worry about. Of course, wielding dual swords made it nearly impossible to properly ride a horse, so she would be on foot going into the battle, a fact that Peter and Edmund were none too happy about. But, it would ultimately be safer for her, so they relented after Oreius convinced them.

The trek to the battlefield was a silent one, with nary a sound or peep from anyone. The mood was too solemn and serious to engage in any conversation. Peter walked at the front, atop his glorious white unicorn, with Oreius on his left and Elise riding on his back. Edmund walked on his right side, Beaver beside him. They all shared glances the closer they came to Beruna, where they would face against the White Witch and her forces in a fight for Narnia and its peace.