Chapter 9

Marinette's POV

"You know I love unicorns, and nothing makes me feel better!" Rose belted out the last line of their song for the final time, concluding the rehearsal.

Luka took his guitar off and started putting it away and I ran up to him.

"Luka!"

"Marinette? What are you doing here?" Luka asked, with a hint of skepticism in his voice.

"I um- well, I came for the view- I mean you! Wait-" I don't know what came over me, but I found myself stuttering, and Luka let out a soft chuckle.

"Did I ever tell you that you're adorable when you're flustered?" Luka says, which makes my cheeks heat up.

"So actually Luka, I came to rehearsal today because I wanted to talk to you. I've thought a lot about what you said to me that one day. You know, the day that you-" I cut myself off at the end, hinting at the love confession that Luka gave me while he was akumatized.

"You're the most extraordinary girl, Marinette. As clear as a music note, and sincere as a melody. You're the voice that's been playing inside my head since the first day we met."

My heart fluttered at the memory.

"Oh... yeah.. what about it?" he asked, with a hint of shyness to his voice, his cheeks turning pink as well.

"I... feel the same way about you," I say.

Luka puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Marinette, it's okay. I know you're in love with Adrien. Just because I'm in love with you doesn't mean that you have to feel the same," Luka says understandingly.

"I don't love Adrien!" I say, a little quicker than I meant to. "Sorry, that sounded bad. Adrien and I are just friends."

"Marinette, I know you. I've seen the way you look at him, it's the way I've looked at you since the first time I saw you," Luka responds.

"Luka, listen to me. I don't want to be with Adrien, or anyone else. I want to be with you! Don't you want to be with me too?" I say with a hint of bitterness to my voice.

"I'd love to be with you Mari, but I don't want you to feel obligated to date me," Luka says warmly, gazing into my eyes. This gives me a surge of confidence I didn't realize I had. I step forward, closing the gap between us, and press my lips onto his.

I feel Luka tense for a moment, as if he's surprised or taken aback by it, but then he wraps his arms around me and melts into the kiss. My hand moves up to his cheek and I cup his face as I continue to kiss him.

A few moments pass, and then I gently step back.

"Wow," Luka murmurs. "I've wanted to do that with you ever since the first day we met, and it was so much better than I could've imagined."

I weakly smiled in response. "Yeah."

-

-

-

-

-

Adrien's POV

I had just finished using the restroom after the end of Kitty Section's rehearsal. I walked back to the stage so I could put away the keyboard, and the sight that I walked into was one that I was not prepared for.

Luka and Marinette were kissing. He had his arms around her and she had her hand on his face. I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces. Marinette liked Luka? How long had this been going on?

I know I shouldn't care, but the jealousy started to take over. A couple of nights ago, I was the one kissing her and she pushed me away like it was nothing. I now realize it's because she wanted Luka the entire time. Chat Noir just a friend to her. She's always seen me as just a friend.

By this point, I see Marinette and Luka have finished kissing and they're talking. I'm not close enough to see what they're saying but Marinette is smiling at him. The way she should've been smiling at me.

I cough, interrupting their moment. Marinette jumps and steps away from Luka.

"Adrien! I.. didn't know you were.. still here!" Marinette says awkwardly.

"Yeah, I uh- just needed to grab my keyboard," I mumble in response.

"Well! I better get toning- I mean, going!" Marinette laughs nervously. "Bye!" With that, she goes to scurry off the boat. In usual Marinette fashion, she trips and falls.

I start to rush over to help her up, but Luka beats me to it, and I grit my teeth.

I had no reason to feel this way. Marinette and I weren't a couple. We never were a couple. And Luka was a great guy. I should be happy for them. Maybe now it's time for me to focus on someone else, like Kagami.

"Bye Luka! Bye Adrien!" Marinette says, and this time, she does step off the boat. I turn to look at Luka.

"So... you and Marinette, huh?" I ask, hoping that my disappointment isn't obvious.

"Yeah, I guess so," Luka responds sheepishly. "Do you mind?"

"Why would I mind?" I ask, almost defensively.

"I just thought that you liked Marinette too."

"Marinette and I are just friends. You're a great guy, Luka. I'm happy for you two," I force a smile.

"Thank you, Adrien. I hope you're able to find someone that brings you happiness," Luka puts a hand on my shoulder for a moment, before he walks back to his room.

Luka really was a good guy. He was always nothing but kind to me. So why did I feel this resentment burning deep inside of me?