Chapter 14| Sticky Fingers Gone Sour

Tara's P.O.V

           We carried on with our normal routine, it was obvious a lot of the boys were feeling the strenuous work we've been managing for the past few days as they dragged themselves like zombies to get breakfast and their shovels. Before anyone could begin for the dig sight we were told to line up, there many of us leaned against our shovels, desperate for more sleep, some practically falling asleep on their shovels right there.

"After the behavior exhibited these past several days, the Warden and I decided that your character building, be best served by the returning to the digging of individual holes. Over to you." Mr Sir finished, handing the conversation over to mom who obviously had nothing to say, as Mr Sir already walks off.

"Ay, I think they talkin' 'bout you, Jumpy." I cough to catch a laugh from slipping at Magnet's jest. The cabin silently chuckled at this.

"Alright! Let's go dig, boys and girl! Let's go, let's go, let's go, let's go!" I raised a brow unimpressed, kicking my shovel out and up over my shoulder. The others quick to react and drew themselves back, afraid of being hit. I snickered at their reactions, skipping along with the weapon bouncing over my shoulder excitedly. I was too tired now, now I was awake.

              My head rolled carelessly to my heavy walk as well to the bob of music I had playing internally, waiting for our sight to finally come into range as we dropped the other tents off along the way

              My head rolled carelessly to my heavy walk as well to the bob of music I had playing internally, waiting for our sight to finally come into range as we dropped the other tents off along the way. Finally ours did come into view, which I embraced happily as a means to distract myself as I hurried on ahead and started for a random patch as soon as I found a spot suitable. I started digging, the others catching up a few minutes later and slowly beginning with their individual holes.
"I dig, you dig, we all dig. Digging is our life so, you dig, I dig, we all di-" I started singing unrhythmically randomly.
"What are you doin', girl?" Magnet chuckles. I shrugged while looking up with uncertainty.
"I have no idea. For once.. I'm actually bored of digging." I gave an incredulous laugh, not being able to fully feel myself today.
"Man, are you feelin' alright?" Armpit asked as they all looked at me worriedly.
"You boys actin' like it's the biggest thing in the world for me not to dig." I joke instead, trying to play it off. I climbed out of the hole, walking closer towards the group before starting another one.
"If yous so sick of diggin' then why keep doin' it?" Squid questions validly.
"'I may be tired but I still like the work. Besides, I need something to do or I'll go crazy." I grinned to myself.
"Hard working, stubborn and childish." Someone mutters. Everyone grew quiet and they looked up too. It was Zero. He didn't bother looking up from his work, continuing to do so.
"You reeeally think I'm childish, huh? That's just mean. " I fake a hurt heart, a smile stuck on my face as the others watched on in bewilderment. He shook his head, but I noticed the smile he had.
"Caveman, now Jumpy? What is happening to this camp?" I heard X-Ray wonder to himself and the great Heavens above. I continued digging till the truck started to make its way to us right according to schedule. I got my water jug taking a long sip from it as I made my way to the line like the others. I stood anxiously in line, pacing in the small space I had within the line as my arms felt uncomfortable by my sides, or anywhere else for that matter.