Chapter 15| The Warden's Special Nail Polish

Tara's P.O.V

            The ride is tensely quiet until the truck skids to a halt. Caveman and I were slow to get out of the truck, slower to trudge up the stairs to the cabin. He knocks on the door, adjusting himself as we waited for her to answer..
"What?" She pulls on a jacket, a slight eagerness hidden as she looks from Mr Sir to us.
"We found a little something in Caveman's hole." He leads. Her eagerness turns into excitement and quickly opened the door.
"What is it, what'd you find? Come in, come in. You're lettin' the cold out." She ushers. We slink in behind Mr Sir.

 We slink in behind Mr Sir

"You tell her, Jumpy." He calls upon as they turn towards us. Caveman looked at me nervously from beside me, he was going to be scared no matter the outcome. I could just, make it easier on myself. I have no obligation to Stanley Yelnats, what-so-ever..! 

"I stole his seeds, and hid them in Caveman's hole so he'd take the blame." I sniff impassively, her smile she for some reason held as she waited avidly, dropped. She blinks, turning to Mr Sir slowly and turns back to look at Caveman. It was like she wasn't comprehending at first.
"Caveman, would you, uh, so kindly bring that little brass case on that bureau over there with my nail polish in it?" She tasks randomly. He nods timidly and slowly tiptoes his way over.
"You too, Jumpy. Lend him a hand, would you?" I raise a brow at her demeanor, but nod, following after. 

             I look at all the stuff that covers the wall, old timey fliers and newspaper clipping and articles. I ignore Mr Sir's so-called philosophy, looking at the colored nail polish Caveman pulls out from the open faced bureau. Stanley looks from the fliers, to me, knowing I had noticed them too. I rolled my eyes and grabbed the chest from his hands, walking back and holding them out unenthusiastically for her.
"Thank you." She responds sickly sweet. I almost glared, but retained myself and backed up some. She grabbed some pink nail polish, to which Mr Sir stood up sharply, eyeing the nail polish dangerously. Red flags go off immediately, my shoulder trying to push Stanley back some as he leans forward.
"You two see this? This is my special nail polish. I make it myself. You want to know my secret ingredient? Rattlesnake venom." She says intimidatingly, painting her nails as she speaks. Her eyes flickered up at us, my eyes narrowing as she smiles all too invitingly.
"I just love what it does to the coloring... It's perfectly harmless.. when it's dry." She adds, reaching out and stroking her hand across Caveman's face. He tenses up, my shoulder pushing him back some more discreetly. Mr Sir watches with suspense, stepping closer silently.
"So, you think they stole your sunflower seeds?" She asked Mr Sir who straightens as she turns to him.
"No, I don't. I think they're covering X-Ray or something. It was a five pound sack and it was in Caveman's hole. She says she took it, and I seen her near his hole for some reason but, I still don't think it was her." He explains his observations, eying me disappointedly as he seemed convinced we were covering for one of the other boys. Which, I mean we were but still.
"I already told you it was me, period. I ain't covering for Caveman, and I ain't covering for the boys. You refused me water, I saw your seeds, figured, why not?" I shrugged, blaming the earlier punishment for my false robbery. He raised a brow, liking the excuse but still not quite buying it.