Chapter 18| Fun Turned Into Mayhem

Tara's P.O.V

"Well?" The Warden questions forcefully, as I slowly walk behind the line of boys, not looking at him out of spite, and guilt, as I go and stand beside Zero.

"Well, basically Zero almost killed Ricky." Mom purposely lacks on detail. My brows scrunch together in disagreement, my hands folding in front of me that I played with anxiously. Even more so as I feel the boy with the shovel stare bore into me from beside.

"Basically?" She asks, annoyed. I glance, more than happy to correct mom. Armpit steps forward.

 Armpit steps forward

"Uh, uh. Ziggy was beating up the Caveman, right? And then, Zero started choking Zigzag. I had to pull Zero off of him. " Armpit too, lack detail when explaining, but at least mentions the fighting.

"Yeah, I mean, you know Zig just got a little hot. Out in the sun all day the blood starts to boil." I side glanced X-Ray who tried to cover, my eyes returning forward with a small scoff. I mean, it's not like I really expected them not to cover for each other, hell I have. I'm still just mad he started the fight in the first place. I could have just talked to them, gotten them to stop, but nooooo.

"Is that what happened, Zigzag?" She questions, the attention being turned to him now, all besides mine. I look forward, my nails scratching and pinching my skin as the sun seems to beat down more mercilessly than normally. The moment seemed to drag on endlessly it felt, his eyes beckoning my gaze but still, I stubbornly refused.

 The moment seemed to drag on endlessly it felt, his eyes beckoning my gaze but still, I stubbornly refused

"Yep. Like X-Ray said, you know, working all day out in the hot sun, you know. While Caveman sits around all day and does nothing." I couldn't help but react the way I'm sure he wanted me too, turning to him sharply as he not only accepted the cover X-Ray had provided, but gave her more. I bit the inside of my cheek, his eyes as wide as ever as they met my eyes the instant I looked over. He didn't look smug, well, not entirely anyways. He did look content, happy, slightly remorseful but, the remorse I knew he felt wasn't for Caveman or Zero. Why.. does he care so much..