Chapter 48: Stab People to Life

The crowd of Gladers pressed in, and the questions never stopped. I clamped my hands over my ears and clamped my eyes closed. Minho turned his head and I felt his eyes on me.

"Enough!" He roared.

The crowd went quiet. He took charge still laying on the ground.

"Newt get a few guys to get Alby-"

"Hanging on the wall 30 ish feet up, straight down the hall left, left, right." I interrupted, peeking an eye open.

Newt turned to Jason and a few other runners. Jason nodded and immediately went in. The others seemed hesitant.

"Fuck sakes you cowards, we just lived a night and you can't go help get your own shucken leader?" I yelled at them, propping myself up onto elbows.

They hung their heads but went after Jason. Newt frowned back at us. Winston and Chuck had pushed through the crowd and Winston threw himself to the ground and tackled me in a hug so tight I fell back into the ground. I groaned in pain.

"Dude seriously. Personal space. And why are you touching me? I didn't die!"

"But you could have!" He said quietly, still holding me tightly.

"Get a grip man!" I pushed him off only to be tackled by Chuck.

"Fuck sakes. What is with you people?" I whinned.

"Apparently we care about you, you idiot."

"Well that was your first mistake." I rolled my exhausted eyes.

I pushed Chuck away too. Both guys sat on their knees beside me, their red and puffy eyes full of unshed tears. There really were people who actually seemed to care about me and it felt...weird. Did anyone from my first maze feel this way? Sonya...but anyone else? It was a weird feeling having people care enough to cry over you because they worried.

Chuck turned and threw himself at Thomas, who was still laying on his back, breathing hard. He made an omph noise but gave him a one arm pat on the back. I felt all the eyes of the Gladers on me, Thomas and Minho. I knew they were all itching to ask questions. Chuck let go of Thomas and sat back he didn't wait, he burst with a question.

"You guys saw a Griever?"

There was instantly a buzz in the crowd. I scoffed.

"Yeah Chuck we saw 'em." Thomas said.

"Pfft please, they didn't just see 'em. They killed one." Minho said, pride and awe in his voice and eyes.

I turned my head to see him. Thomas picked up his head. The Gladers broke into wild chatter, more questions were thrown out. Newt had to yell for quiet.

"Just one?" I asked innocently.

"Okay." Minho relented. "More than one."

Thomas grinned at me, "at least 4."

"5." I corrected, "Killed the one that stung Alby."

"You guys killed five bloody Grievers?" Newt cried.

"The Greenie killed them?" Gally asked, his face was red and he looked like he was going to blow a gasket.

"Well not exactly as efficiently as Jessie. But yeah...it was survival." Thomas defended himself.

"Gally. Slim it man." I waved a hand dismissively.

He turned to Newt, "we need a gathering. He," Gally threw a hand out pointing to Thomas, "broke the rules and needs to be punished."

Newt looked at the three of us still laying on the ground then back to Gally. He crossed his arms and nodded. He addressed us on the ground.

"Showers. Frypan's, Jessie the bloody MedJacks and then sleep." He held a hand up, stopping Gally's protests. "And then a gathering, yes Gally. But bloody human needs first. Even you aren't that buggen' mean."