Chapter 1. 1814 

Sunlight streamed in through the large glass windows of Harrington Park, bathing the lovely estate with brilliant beams of gold. It was 11 April, the day that the London season would begin. The day that young ladies from respectable Noble families entered society, and the marriage market.
Staring at her reflection in the large gold mirror of her bedroom, Clara Harrington was pleased with what she saw. Her debut gown was composed of cream silk with off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. Small iridescent crystals decorated the bodice, put together in a delicate crisscross pattern. Cream silk gloves and matching slippers completed her ensemble. Her butterscotch blonde curls were fixed into an elegant braided bun.
Clara smiled, knowing she had been preparing her entire life for the day she stepped out into society. She was hoping and praying, like all of the other young ladies of the ton, that she would find her perfect match. What was more, she wasn't desiring to have the coveted title of Diamond. She felt beautiful without it.
The knock on Clara's bedroom door startled her slightly. Turning her head, she smiled as she saw her oldest brother, Arthur, stepping into the room. "Did mama send you up?"
Arthur smiled, his warm brown eyes sparkling brilliantly. "Yes she did."
Clara giggled. "I'm glad she sent you and not Bronson. He would practically pull me from the bedroom."
Arthur chuckled. "He's not very patient compared to me."
Bronson emerged from behind Arthur, poking him in the back. "How dare you say I am not patient brother. I am plenty patient."
Arthur turned and smiled at his twin brother. "For certain things yes, but not for our sister."
Bronson snorted, rolling his brown eyes. "Well, there is no time to dillydally today. Clara is going to be presented to the queen. We cannot be late."
Clara bit her lip nervously. "We are not late are we?"
Bronson smiled deviously. "We certainly are, it's nearly 10."
Clara became pale with panic. "Arthur, please tell me he is joking."
Arthur elbowed Bronson in the ribs, glaring at him. "He is my dear sister. We still have half an hour to get to St. James."
Clara exhaled with relief. "Good, I still need to get my bearings for this."
Arthur stepped forward and brought her into his arms for a tight squeeze. "Everything will be all right, I promise. You are going to outshine every single one of those young ladies."
Bronson. "Yes, everything will be all right sister. Simply try not to fall down the stairs as you enter the ballroom."
Arthur. "Must you tease her today?"
Bronson smiled. "My dear brother, it is my job to tease her. It is your job to protect her."
Arthur growled. "Can you please go see if mama is ready? The carriage is waiting for us."
Bronson nodded before turning and leaving the room. He loved teasing his little sister. It was all for fun, never to harm.
Arthur turned, taking Clara's hands. "Are you ready?"
Clara smiled at him. "I am."
Arthur smiled before looping her hand through his elbow. He escorted her to the staircase just as they saw Bronson and their mother, Elizabeth, emerging from the other side of the hallway. He smiled at her. "What do you think mama? Doesn't Clara look lovely?"
Elizabeth smiled. "She does look beautiful my dear. I cannot believe she is going to be taking part in her first London season."
Clara smiled at her mother. "I am grateful that all of you are going to be present for it."
Elizabeth stepped forward and took her daughter into her arms. "We wouldn't miss it for the world my love, especially because you are my only daughter. I want everything to go smoothly."
Clara. "I will make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible mama."
The four of them made their way downstairs and stepped out of Harrington Park. They climbed into the carriage that was waiting for them, settling back against the tufted seat. Moments later, they felt the carriage begin to drive toward Saint James Palace.
Gazing out the window at the passing buildings of London, Clara felt her nervousness evaporate. She would have a perfect season. She was a Harrington, filled with confidence.
***
Arriving to the city of Westminster five minutes later, Clara caught her breath as she took in the majestic view of Saint James Palace. The large building was composed of dark red brick with several tall glass windows glistening with morning sunlight. She took a breath as the carriage came to a stop before the luxurious palace.
Arthur stepped out of the carriage first once the door was opened by the footman. He turned and helped Clara out just as Bronson was doing the same to Elizabeth on the other side. He smiled at his little sister, playfully pinching her cheek. "You look magnificent."
Clara smiled, poking his nose. "Thank you Arthur."
Elizabeth came toward them with Bronson.  She took Clara's hand. "We must go and wait in the hall outside the ballroom."
Clara nodded before looking back at her brothers. She smiled softly, feeling completely at ease. Her family was at her side, and she was ready to enter society.