Chapter 12. 1814

Five hours into the ball, Clara and Brandon were just finishing up a waltz, when they noticed Arthur making his way toward them. It was quite clear that he was agitated. They exchanged a glance of confusion, not knowing what was wrong.
Clara. "What is it Arthur? Is everything all right?"
Arthur shook his head, his eyes filled with rage. "No, everything is not all right."
Brandon. "What has happened?"
Arthur. "We have an uninvited guest."
Clara. "Who is the uninvited guest?"
Arthur's voice was a growl of fury. "Our cousin."
Clara felt the color disappear from her face and freeze in her veins. No, it couldn't be. Her eyes traveled toward the entrance to the ballroom, and her heart sputtered with panic.
Lord Calvin Harrington, second son of the late Duke of Richmond, stood proudly in the entrance to the ballroom. He had the same dark brown hair as Arthur and Bronson, but had steel blue eyes instead of brown. He considered himself to be quite handsome, but his personality was anything but lovely.
Clara swallowed hard, feeling her body beginning to tremble. She despised Calvin, knowing he was a rake with very dishonorable intentions. She also knew, quite well, that the arrogant bastard was hell-bent on making her his.
Calvin strode toward the trio, his mannerism hottie and self absorbed. He smiled wickedly as his eyes landed on Clara. "Well, good evening to you my dear cousin."
Clara. "May I inquire as to what you are doing here cousin? My mother did not send you an invitation."
Calvin scoffed. "Oh I know she did not. I decided to come myself."
Arthur glared at him. "Why?"
Calvin. "Is it not obvious to you Arthur? I am still desiring your sister to be mine."
Brandon. "Forgive me for interrupting, but I will inform you that Miss Harrington is already involved with me."
Calvin turned his attention to Brandon. "And who the bloody hell are you?"
Clara. "The Duke of Manchester, the gentleman who is courting me."
Calvin burst out laughing. "Do you mean to tell me that you are involved in a courtship with a duke?"
Clara glared at him. "Yes, and he is much more pleasant than you have ever been."
Calvin stepped forward until he was right up in her face. His voice dropped to a deadly whisper. "I will show you on Pleasant."
Clara felt her heart rate climb with panic. The room was growing much too hot, much to stifling. She couldn't breathe.
Brandon looked at her with concern. "Clara? "
Clara was petrified. She didn't want to be around Calvin for another minute. She needed to get away. Turning from the group, she moved quickly out of the ballroom and onto the terrace.
Footsteps sounded behind her, causing Clara to turn her head with fright. That fear disappeared immediately when she saw it was Brandon who had followed her. She took a breath. "I'm so sorry about my cousin."
Brandon pulled her against him, not caring about propriety. He placed her head against his shoulder, rubbing her back. "You do not need to apologize my dear. Has Lord Harrington always been cruel?
Clara nodded. "Sadly, yes. Ever since we were children, he was always cruel. Three years ago, he was determined to have me as his wife. I was 18 at the time and he was 26. I refused him, and he has been more determined than ever to have me."
Brandon took her face between his hands, fixing her with a gaze of fiery intensity. "I'll make you this promise Clara, that bastard will not have you. If he tries to put his hands on you, I will dual him."
Clara smiled softly. "Thank you Brandon, you have no idea how much your words mean to me."
Brandon smiled, kissing her sweetly. "You have my word that I will keep you safe."
Clara smiled, returning his kiss. "Thank you."
Brandon. "Shall we go back inside?"
Clara. "I would actually like to show you the Harrington Park Gardens."
Brandon smiled brightly. "I would love to see your beautiful garden."
Their fingers intertwined, they walked into the Harrington Park garden. They instantly forgot about Calvin, turning their focus to each other and the magnificent flowers that lined either side of the path. There were roses, chrysanthemums, and tulips that ranged from dark red to pale pink with cream lavender and yellow mixed in.
Clara. "Aside from my cousin interrupting things, I do hope you have been enjoying your evening."
Brandon squeezed her hand. "I have, very much. You are quite the lovely hostess."
Clara blushed, giggling. "Thank you my dear, but my mother put most of this together. I simply told her what colors went best."
Brandon smiled. "You have quite the artistic talent."
Clara. "Do you think so?"
Brandon nodded. "I do."
Clara. "Thank you for your kind compliment."
Brandon. "You're welcome."
They enjoyed the garden for another hour before returning to the ballroom. They had no idea that someone was watching them from the shadows. Someone who was waiting for their deadly trap to fall into place.