Chapter 6. 1814 

The following week, a ball was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair. The couple was known for throwing lavish balls every season, and this one was no different. They had a ballroom big enough to fit 150 guests.
For that evening, Clara was wearing a lovely powder blue silk gown with off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. The pale color brought out the bright blue of her eyes. Her hair was fixed into a side bun with curls along her left shoulder, and cream silk gloves and matching powder blue slippers completed her ensemble.
At the moment, Clara was dancing with Mr. Thomas Spencer, the second son of Viscount Spencer. She found the gentleman to be pleasant enough, but nothing more. She maintained her elegant smile and kept up with conversation.
Thomas. "Have you seen how many suitors Miss Broderick has? I dare say she has about 50 coming to her home every day."
Clara. "How do you know this exact number Mr. Spencer?"
Thomas rolled his steel blue eyes. "Because I was one of the suitors calling on her yesterday. I must be honest and say that she is very lovely, but lacks the gentle qualities that a young lady ought to possess."
Clara stared at him as their dance came to a close. "And what gentle qualities are those sir?"
Thomas. "Well, for one matter, a lady should never boast about how beautiful she is. She must be humble and kind, and be a bit intelligent. I am sad to say Miss Broderick has only the lovely appearance and no brain."
Clara. "I am glad you value those qualities in a woman Mr. Spencer. Most gentleman of your wealth would desire a lady to be suitable for childbearing and nothing more. A beautiful appearance, certainly, but not intelligent."
Thomas smiled. "I find you to be all of those things Miss Harrington."
Clara smiled softly, taking a step away from him. "Thank you for your kind words Mr. Spencer."
Thomas. "Of course. Might I escort you to wherever your next destination is?"
Another gentleman came up behind them. "Spencer, I believe Miss Harrington's next destination is a dance with me."
Clara tried not to grimace. It seemed that no matter how hard she tried, she wasn't able to get away from Lord Nigel Broderick. And with his sister being chosen as the diamond, she knew he was going to rub it into her face.
Thomas nodded before giving Clara a polite smile and walking away.
Nigel took Clara's hand, escorting her to the floor. He began to move them across the ballroom. "Well, despite the fact that you were not chosen as the diamond, you are still receiving quite a lot of attention."
Clara nodded tensely. "Yes I have my Lord. Some wanted, some unwanted. I can only imagine how much attention Giselle is receiving."
Nigel smiled broadly. "I am proud to say she has chosen a suitor. Lord Jeremy Grafton, Viscount Grafton. He is quite wealthy, and very much attracted to my sister."
Clara plastered a smile on her face. "I am pleased for your sister my Lord."
Nigel. "Thank you Miss Harrington. And what of your prospects? Do you believe you are going to find yourself a husband by the end of this season?"
Clara. "I am hoping so, yes. However, I do not wish to be married for obligation, but for love."
Nigel scoffed. "Love, what a ridiculous notion."
Clara fell silent, not wanting to speak to this man a moment longer. She kept her eyes averted from his as they continued dancing. Love was not a ridiculous notion, at least for her.
***
Genevieve. "I must say your grace, I would love to be the Duchess of Manchester. I'm sure it must be lovely having a title, not to mention all of the wealth that comes with it. Of course, all of my gowns would have to be covered with diamonds. My mother says that would suit me the best."
Brandon nodded, trying not to grimace. Miss Genevieve Bradley was getting on his last nerve. Thankfully, the current dance was almost finished, and he could be rid of her.
Genevieve was lovely in appearance, with strawberry blonde curls and yellow green eyes. Her body would make any gentleman drool and fall to his knees. But that was all, nothing more.
Once the dance finally finished, Brandon escorted her off the floor and toward the wall. "It was a pleasure dancing with you Miss Bradley."
Genevieve smiled at him. "Likewise your grace."
Brandon rubbed the back of his neck as he watched her move back to the floor with another gentleman. He took a breath, needing to get some air. Unfortunately, that was short-lived as he turned and found himself face-to-face with another young lady and her mother. Giving a polite smile, he escorted the debutant to the floor.
***
Four hours later, Clara stepped out of the stifling ballroom and onto the terrace. Her heart was pounding, her head spinning. Her feet were aching from dancing with so many men.
Clara closed her eyes, leaning against a marble pillar. There were so many gentlemen vying for her attention. She didn't want to give it to any of them.