𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 10 - 𝑨𝒕 𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝑪𝒐𝒔𝒕

Hershel continued to check Carl's vitals as the sun set. They were all holding off as long as they could, but they could only wait so long before Carl's life was at risk.

"Pressure's dropping again. We can't wait much longer." He warned.

"Do you need more blood?" Iris asked, offering her arm.

"No, you can't give much more." Hershel denied.

"I should go." Rick mumbled.

"Go? Go where?" Lori asked, blinking.

"He said five miles. They should be long back by now. Something's gone wrong."

"Are you insane? You're not going after them. Your place is here. If Shane said he'll be back, he'll be back. He's like you that way." Lori assured.

"I can't just sit here." Rick protested.

"That's exactly what you do." Lori snapped. "If you need to pray or cry or tell God he's cruel you go right ahead, but you're not leaving, Rick. Carl needs you— here. And I can't do this by myself. Not this one. I can't. I can't."

-

Hershel allowed each of them full access to their facilities, meaning soap and a hot shower, which they were grateful for. Rick told Lori and Carl stories as they waited for Shane to make it back. Iris ate, for Carl's sake, even if she felt guilty for it. Maggie made her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was the best thing she'd tasted in months, aside from the orange juice. She'd even slept.

At one point, Glenn and T-Dog showed up to get his wound treated and to bring a few antibiotics and pain killers they'd found.

"How you doing?" Iris asked as T-Dog ate across from her.

"We should be asking you the same thing." Glenn stated. Iris shrugged, on her eighth glass of orange juice.

"Drinking them out of house and home." She replied, wiggling the glass. He chuckled. "T-Dog?"

"I'm alright. It hurts." He replied. Iris nodded. "You're pale."

"Thanks." She replied, grinning.

"Iris!" Lori cried from the room. Iris stood abruptly, feeling her head rush.

"Woah." Glenn helped steady her, taking her into the room. Carl's blankets were mussed and Rick was straightening him back out across the bed.

"He needs another transfusion." Hershel said quietly.

"Okay. I'm ready." She agreed, sitting down in the chair.

"If I take any more out of you, your body could shut down. You could go into a coma. Or cardiac arrest." Hershel explained. Iris didn't have to look at Rick or Lori to see them staring at her. Neither one of them asked her to do this, nor did they want to ask her for more. But seeing Carl... He was such a hopeful kid. Happy. Eager. Despite everything. Iris didn't hesitate.

"Do it." She stated, offering her arm. Hershel set up the transfusion again, Carl's parents at his side.

-

"He's still losing blood faster than we can replace it. And with the swelling in his abdomen, we can't wait any longer, or he's just going to slip away." Hershel explained after a while. Iris sat, staring up at the ceiling. "I need to know right now if you want me to do this, because I think your boy is out of time. You have to make a choice."

"A choice?" Lori asked, horrified.

"A choice." Rick nodded, turning to look her in the eyes. "You have to tell me what it is."