𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 32 - 𝑶𝒍𝒅 𝑭𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒔

Carl burst into the cell block with one hand on his pistol, his eyes flicking across the rooms for his dad.

"What is it, cowboy?" Iris asked, jogging down the steps.

"It's Andrea. She's in the yard with a walker." He replied. Daryl and Rick emerged from their cells, joining Iris as they ran toward the door. Daryl tossed Merle a pistol and he came to join them. They burst into the yard, taking positions behind the truck for available cover. Carl, Maggie, Glenn and Michonne were backing them up from the fence.

"Are you alone?" Rick called loudly across the courtyard.

"Open the gate." Andrea replied.

"Are you alone?!" Rick repeated.

"Rick!" She cried. Iris' eyes widened. She had a walker with no arms and no jaw in a snare pole, using it to keep a small berth around her while the walkers from the field drew closer. She didn't have much room, and her little friend wasn't going to be much help for much longer. Rick tossed his keys to Daryl, who slid the gate open smoothly. Andrea squeezed through the small gap before Merle pushed it closed.

"Hands up! Turn around!" Rick called, practically pinning her against the fence. "Turn around now!" She dropped the pathetic little hatchet she was holding and Rick patted her down. Andrea screamed as walkers reached for and scratched at her through the chain link, but Rick pulled her away within an inch of her life. "Get down on the floor!" He yelled as he forced her to her knees. "I asked if you were alone."

"I am." Andrea insisted, breathing heavily. She looked somewhat offended. Iris glanced over her shoulder as she, Daryl, Merle and Maggie stood surrounding them, making sure no one was sneaking up on them. It was suspicious, Iris could admit, but she never thought Andrea would have the balls to pull one over on them, even if she was with the Governor. Rick pulled her bag off and chucked it off to the side. He turned to look around for a moment before addressing her again.

"Welcome back. Get up." He hauled her to her feet, bringing her inside to their little antechamber. She immediately hugged Carol, who seemed rather glad to see her.

"After you saved me, we thought you were dead." Carol whispered, holding Andrea close. Iris pursed her lips. All of that seemed like a lifetime ago.

"Hershel, my god." Andrea gasped, taking the chance to look around as they parted. "I can't believe this. Where's Shane?" No one answered, Rick staring her right in the face. "And Lori?"

"She had a girl. Lori didn't survive." Hershel offered quietly.

"Neither did T-Dog." Maggie murmured.

"I'm so sorry." Andrea whispered, looking around at all their melancholy expressions. Her gaze stopped. "Carl." She gasped. He paid her no mind, staring deadpan into her soul. Iris was very proud of the kid, even if he was growing up way too fast. "Rick, I— You all live here?"

"Here in the cell block." Glenn answered, nodding.

"There?" She asked, pointing. "Well, can I go in?"

"I won't allow that." Rick said sternly.

"I'm not an enemy, Rick." She insisted.

"We had that field and the courtyard until your boyfriend tore down the fence with a truck and shot us up." He snapped.

"He said you fired first." She blinked, clearly confused. Iris rolled her eyes. Of course Andrea was naïve enough to eat up anything the Governor must have told her.

"Well he's lying." Rick replied simply.

"He killed an inmate who survived in here." Hershel added.

"We liked him. He was one of us." Daryl continued.