𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 25 - 𝑳𝒐𝒔𝒔

The cries of the baby were loud, but they had taken care of the majority of the walkers. The only ones left were behind locked gates. Maggie held her, trying to soothe her, but she was still covered in fluid from the amniotic sac. Rick knelt on the ground, his eyes glazed over. He wasn't conscious for a minute, staring into space.

Iris had gone over to Carl and hugged him tight, feeling him hug her back as he softly cried into her shoulder. Daryl knelt down over Rick after a moment, checking to see if he was lucid. He waved a hand over his face. They needed to get this kid inside.

"Rick, you with me?" Daryl asked softly. "Rick?" Carl parted from Iris, going over to take his crying sister from Maggie's arms.

"Let me see the baby." Hershel called, Carl bringing it over. Rick stood on shaking legs slowly, still blinking away the tears.

"What are we gonna feed it? We got anything a baby can eat?" Daryl asked. Iris hadn't realized how big of a problem Lori's death might be. She should be breastfeeding the baby, but now... they needed formula.

"The good news is, she looks healthy." Hershel said, pulling away Carl's jacket to look over the little tyke. "But she needs formula. And soon, or she won't survive."

"Nope. No way, not her. We ain't losing nobody else. I'm going for a run." Daryl said, shucking his crossbow over his shoulder.

"I'll come." Iris said, wiping her hands on her legs.

"We'll back you up." Maggie said, looking to Glenn, who nodded.

"Okay. Think where we're going."

"Beth?" Iris called. She came over. "Carl just lost his mom, and Rick's not doing so well..."

"I'll look out for him." She assured, offering a soft smile. Iris nodded.

"Good looking out." Daryl said quietly, Iris nodded. He turned to the others, facing Axel and Oscar first. "You two get the fence. Too many pile up, we got ourselves a problem. Iris, Glenn, Maggie, vámonos!"

"Rick!" Maggie called, but it was too late. He had pulled the axe up off the ground with a loud scrape, storming into the prison and shutting the door behind him.

"Come on, or we'll lose the light." Iris called.

"There's a Piggly Wiggly on 85." Glenn suggested as they jogged across the yard to the cars.

"No, the baby section's been cleared." Maggie replied. "Lori asked me to keep an eye out. I haven't had much luck."

"Is there any place that hasn't been completely looted?" Daryl asked.

"We saw signs for a shopping centre just north of here." Glenn offered.

"Yeah, but there's too much debris on the road. A car will never get through there." Maggie replied, huffing.

"I can take one of you." Daryl said, nodding his head at Iris. She turned to the others, shrugging. Maggie grabbed a map, circling the area they saw the signs and handing it over. Daryl shrugged on his poncho as she pulled the sleeves of her coveralls over her arms, grabbing an empty duffel bag from the back seat of the SUV and jogging over to the bike. He revved the engine to life, pulling through the yard and out of the gates, Oscar closing it behind them.

Maggie was right. The road was covered in debris, looted cars, everything. Daryl pulled down the side, driving over a trail in the grass to pull around. They made it to where Maggie circled the map, just outside of a shopping centre. There was a daycare with a playground in the back, fenced off, but run down nonetheless.