Chapter Four

(Katniss' POV.)

"I'm a mockingjay!" Rose exclaims, her arm movements mimicking those of a bird's wings. Finnius does the same, both of them giggling as they see who can flap their arms faster. Peeta cracks a smile, cheering them on.

Watching Rose wear that pin is honestly difficult; freshly opening up the wounds that closed so many years ago. I never really expected to see it again, I guess. I don't even remember putting all of my old stuff in that box in the first place. It's like a punch in the gut, reminding me of the story attached to such a beautiful object. I can already feel my eyes beginning to burn, preparing to let out all of the tears.

I soon find myself standing up, moving to the hallway in a burst of emotions. My head begins to ache, everything growing blurry as the tears begin to flow. I don't even care anymore about appearing strong. I know that deep down, part of me is weak. As a teenager, I never expressed this weakness inside of me.

The tears I have shed recently were way overdue, waiting to finally be released. Collectively, all of the nightmares can't even compare to the pain that goes along with missing someone you love. Someone that died right in front of your eyes, with you unable to do anything about it. This applies to more than one of the people I've lost, which only makes it hurt more.

Now Madge is the one whose face is clawing its way back into my thoughts, bringing back all of the memories I shared with such an innocent girl that in no way deserved to die. None of the people I miss deserved to die. Not Finnick. Not Prim. Not Rue. None of them deserved such a short life.

I picture myself after the reaping again; Madge visiting me at the Justice Building and giving me the Mockingjay pin. The same pin that my daughter now wore. I remember her kissing me on the cheek goodbye, indicating that she truly was a friend of mine; a friend whose life was cut way too short.

Peeta's arms are suddenly wrapped around me, cutting off my train of thought. I sob into his chest, pulling him closer to me.

"It's so hard," I whisper, my tears beginning to soak his shirt. He doesn't even let me finish, gently shushing me. His soft lips are now brushing against my ear, his heart beat growing faster in his chest.

"It's going to be okay, Katniss." He whispers soothingly, his lips soon meeting mine. I hold onto this kiss for a long time, my tense muscles beginning to relax. A little voice suddenly interrupts us, their hand tugging on my shirt.

"Are you still sad, mommy?" Finnius whispers. I lean down and pick him up, planting a kiss on his cheek as I gently rock him in my arms.

"No, I'm not sad anymore. You're making me feel better right now, Finn." I assure him, my lips curling into a smile. His face beams with pride as he nuzzles his head into my chest, giggling to himself. I turn and carry him back into the bedroom, Peeta following close behind.

Finnius slides off of my back, taking a seat next to Rose who sits cross-legged on the end of our bed. Peeta and I join them, leaning back together on the headboard. I rest my head on Peeta's shoulder, his warmth reflecting onto me.

"Are the mockingjays the ones that make such pretty music outside?" Rose suddenly asks me, her eyes wide with curiosity.

"Yes, they are." I reply, nodding my head. She looks off in the distance, thinking to herself for a moment, then back down at me.

"Do you ever sing to them?" she asks, furrowing her eyebrows. I suddenly picture Rue's face in my mind, quickly shaking it away before I begin to cry.

"I used to," I answer in a whisper, slightly trailing off at the end. Luckily Peeta saves me from the pain of talking, beginning to dive into stories of my singing.