Chapter Six

(Peeta's POV.)

"This is a big, big day!" Effie exclaims, pulling me into a big bear hug. A light laugh escapes my lips, her scrawny arms pulling me in tighter. I can't help but laugh; the extreme oddness of her outfit very amusing. She's dressed in a strangely patterned dress, her entire body decked out in pink from head to toe.

"I've missed you two!" she continues, moving over to Katniss as she speaks. I look over at Haymitch, his lips curling into a smile as he watches intently, spinning his empty cup around in his hands.

"We've missed you too, Effie." Katniss manages to get out, Effie nearly squeezing her to death. Haymitch pats the seat next to him, Effie plopping herself down on it right away. Katniss and I take the seats across from them, the whole room beginning to fill with a strong sense of awkward tension.

"So, um…" I begin, not able to look up at them. "How did you guys, you know…" I can't even finish, the idea of Effie falling in love with Haymitch sounding too weird.

Haymitch lets out a long laugh, wrapping his arm around Effie as he begins to explain, the smile not leaving his face.

"It's a story, alright." He begins, looking deep into Effie's eyes as he speaks. "She came to visit me, actually. She was seeing if I was doing better. The anger between us just died that day, once we began talking."

Effie's eyes begin to brighten, a shy smile teasing at her lips. She runs her fingers through his hair, turning to face us now.

"You should have seen him that day; it is unbelievable how much this man can drink without passing out!" Effie exclaims, a soft giggle coming out mid-sentence. Katniss and I both can't help but laugh at this as well, nodding in agreement.

"It's definitely a talent," I reply, raising an eyebrow at Haymitch. He tries to keep a straight face briefly, but loses it quickly, slight amusement filling his dark eyes.

"What about you two?" Effie asks, a smile spreading across her face from ear to ear. "Haymitch told me that you have a daughter!" she continues, nearly bouncing out of her seat with excitement.

A shy smile plays across Katniss' lips, her fingers soon intertwining with mine. "Yes, we have a son as well actually." She replies in a whisper, looking over at me.

I give her a smile, nodding my head. "Their names are Rose and Finnius," I inform Effie, my head only slightly facing her. It's weird finally getting a chance to discuss our kids, something we've never done with someone before. It fills me with a sense of pride.

"Oh my, what adorable names!" Effie exclaims, lightly clapping her hands together as she speaks. "Who came up with those?" she asks, looking over at both of us with curious eyes.

"We decided them together. We wanted to name our children after people who did amazing things in their short lives and deserve being honored." I reply, my heart filling with sorrow as I think of Prim and Finnick; the inspirations for our children's names.

Effie nods, her smile slightly fading, a look of understanding replacing it. "That's really sweet of you guys," she whispers, nodding to herself. Katniss and I both smile at her, our bodies soon growing closer.

No matter how many times Katniss and I touch, every moment will set off sparks in my heart. It is amazing how one person can do that to you. One person can change your life forever; Katniss changing mine in a positive way.

(Katniss' POV.)

It's such a strange feeling, being in a room again with the three people that contributed to the dramatic turn of events in my life. It also gives me a feeling of warmth and love. I didn't think I'd admit it, but Haymitch and Effie actually make a really good couple together.